should I do the 30k service?

I yesterday went to a nissan dealer, he told me that I need to do a 30k service for my car and it will cost $500. Is it worth spending that much money? Or should I take it to a private mechanic. What happens to my warrenty if i dont take to a dealer?

thanks in advance for advice kumar

2000 Nissan Sentra GXE Milage: 32000
Reply to
kumar

Look at the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual packet and see what Nissan says is actually supposed to be done at 30,000 miles. I am pretty certain you will not find $500 of work listed there.

Who does the work makes absolutely no difference to your warranty (which is probably just about up anyway). The only thing that has to be done by a dealer is warranty work, and then only if you don't want to pay for it.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Call different Nissan dealers and get prices, I found that within dealers prices varied greatly. If you take it to a non-nissan garage, the warranty will be okay as long as you keep your invoice to prove that the work was done in case you have problems related to warranty issues later.

Reply to
Martin

"kumar" wrote in news:WFeVb.2007$PY.1987 @newssvr26.news.prodigy.com:

I go to an independent dealr who only does nessesary work. It keeps the price down and is legal

Reply to
MRK

Other than belt change this is the big one, they actually have to include the replacement of some parts and fluids other than oil and filter.

For Older cars it used to be

Minor service.

1: CHANGE oil and filter. 2: Check mixture. 3: Check plugs. 4: Check brake, clutch, auto trans fluid levels and leaks. 5: Check power steering fluid level, hoses and pipes. 6: Check exhaust. 7: Check brakes and pads. 8: Check seat belts. 9: Check brake and clutch pedals and parking brake lever for correct operation and free play. 10: Lube locks.

CHECK - if anything is wrong that can't be quickly adjusted or fixed without parts, fluids or striping down you get a phone call and will be told what and how much to fix in ADDITION to service cost. eg: Brake pads and rotors will always be an extra cost item.

Major service. as above

11: + CHANGE plugs if not platinum / iridium / palladium (60K). 12: + check drive belts 13: + check cooling system 14: + check PCV and EGR operation and vacuum hoses 15: + check drive shafts, axles and suspension, 16: + check wheel alignment, if necessary rotate and balance wheels

24/30K miles as major

17: + CHANGE coolant 18: + CHANGE air filter 19: + CHANGE fuel filter and check fuel lines 20: + CHANGE brake and clutch fluid. 21: + check brake booster, hoses and valve.

Later this was changed to.

interim

1a: CHANGE oil

Minor

1b: CHANGE oil and oil filter delete 2, 3 and 8.

Major include 8, delete 2, 3, 12 and 14

24/30K miles include 8, 12 and 14, delete 2 and 3. +22: check vapour lines and O2 sensor.

Non turbo may not need interim oil change.

Peter Hill