'06 as AC Power Supply?

I need a few hours of AC power (< 4 amps peak) tonight at a remote location (astrononomical telescope mount, laptop). Is it safe (in terms of possible damage to the car) to use my '06 for this purpose with a suitable inverter? That would mean having the car turned on for about three hours.

TIA

Davoud

Reply to
Davoud

Le 26/07/2011 16:22, Davoud nous fit lire :

IIRC, the limit of power is about 120W at the plug. At 12V, that's 10A. Given the low capacity of the 12V battery (~30Ah), it means that you will need to be in "road" mode to not exaust that battery very quickly. Which mean the engine will run often and randomly. It might impact your astronomical observation: vibration and source of heat.

Reply to
Le Forgeron

Davoud :

Thanks. I can manage the observing part. It's the car being on for hours in Park that I was concerned about. BTW, on a typical natural surface, having a motor vehicle idling nearby does not produce vibrations that are discernible to visual observers. As for heat, one does not typically set up near the car's exhaust pipe. And it's going to be 33 C tonight, anyway.

Davoud

Reply to
<address_is

I&#39;ve been in some horrible traffic jams where there was little to no movement for a couple of hours (I think more than three hrs on a couple of occasions) and the air conditioner was on all the time and so were the headlights. The car survived just fine. In fact, I think Prius is pretty much designed to work in just such condition, common in metro commute. It seems very similar to what you&#39;re talking about except you will have it on \"park\" all the time whereas in a traffic jam you have it on \"drive\" most (or all) of the time.

In your case it may be easier on the car and the ICE may not even have to cycle as often if you turn everything you don&#39;t need (lights, A/C, radio) off. I don&#39;t think it&#39;s going to be a problem to leave it turned on for a few hours like this.

Reply to
DA

Davoud:

DA:

Indeed. Piece of cake. I drew power from 8 pm to midnight and ran two telescope mounts and two MacBook Pros and it worked like a charm. It was funny to have people ask "How/why is that car starting its engine without anyone in it?" "Which car is that?" "That car." "Oh, THAT car. Yeah, that's my car. It does that sometimes."

Davoud

Reply to
Davoud