Black Film - 2004 Prius

Hello,

I just noticed today on my new to me 2004 Prius, that there seems to be a flat-black film that covers the interior metal part of the doors. There is a spot on the drivers door that started to peel off. The pant underneath seems to be a more shiny black.

Do all Prius' have this film? How do I stop it from peeling any more?

Thank you.

Robert

---------- "Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas." Virgil

Reply to
Robert D. Vanderslice II

The dealer should have removed it before delivering it to you. It's for protection during shipment and pre-sales maintenance.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

The film is a soft matte finish on the door sills and some other surfaces on the '04 and '05 models. A similar finish is found on my IBM laptop and Motorola PEBL cell phone. It has a nice skin-like feel to it and designers seem to be in love with it. But it does not wear well and is eventually scuffed off. For the Prius, a frequent wear-through area is where the driver's elbow rubs when relaxing one's left arm on the sill.

It was a bad experiment, IMHO, and was replaced by more conventional (and much more durable) textured-plastic covers on 2006 models. (Of course, by "much more durable" I presume these covers won't warp like they did on my '75 VW Rabbit!)

I don't think there's anything that can be done about it, but ask your dealer and complain to Toyota. If enough people gripe about their one- or two-year-old Prii having shiny worn places like a thrift-store suit, maybe they'll offer a fix.

--Scott

Reply to
Scott