Fuel consumption

I have the intention to buy a Prius, and I am very interested in what the car really "drinks". What are the real figures for driving at a constant speed of 60, 70, 80 and

90 mph? And what is the "lifetime" average?
Reply to
Alive&Kicking

In the San Francisco Bay area I saw 50+ mpg, of course the traffic moves slowly there compared to mid-valley I-5 (California's Autobahn) and doing

80-85 there gets about 41 mpg. I'd imagine 90 would put you in the mid- 30's.

Now that Texas raised their speed limits to 80 on some stretches of western interstates, I'd bet it will be in the mid-30's there too.

City seems to do best, and slower trafficking cities better still.

Dunno. They took that feature off my '05. Maybe 43 mpg for me - but I usually pass everything out there since I own one of those lead foots.

Of course, some will lie and say they routinely get 70+ mpg and the few silver ones in the Bay area belonging to some fuel efficiency organization say "100+ MPG" on their doors. You can recognize them by the odd orange hand-wrapped wire spools in the trunk area and a bunch of wires going up front to the driver and a small console. ;o)

However, having seen one of those +100 jobbies up close and personal, I'd be willing to bet the owner spends much more time on the little console and looking for an AC wall outlet to steal, er I mean, plug in to.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

You probably want to look at the mileage database in GreenHybrid.com. In the meanwhile, this is what I use for my 03 Prius:

However, this data is for an NHW11, the 01-03 Prius. The newer one gets better.

Bob Wilson

Reply to
Bob Wilson

What do you get with the vehicle you use now and what was its EPA rating?

Reply to
mark digital

I have a diesel, consuming 6,0 liter per 100 km (I live in Belgium!!). EPA is 5,9 l/100km.... EPA for the Prius is 4,3 l/100km. Unfortunately, I don't have a "formula" to convert liter/100 km into MPG (miles per gallon)...

"mark_digital©" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Alive&Kicking

Alive&Kicking wrote in alt.autos.toyota.prius:

From the Wikipedia:

1 mile per US gallon = 235.208 liters per 100 kilometers
Later on this page, it is noted that the highest US EPA mileage is 61-66 MPG for the Honda Insight hybrid; this entry notes equivalent EU efficiency figures of 3.9-3.6 L/100lm, so it would stand to reason that:

235.208 / (fuel economy in L/100km) = fuel efficiency in MPG

and

235.208 / (fuel economy in MPG) = fuel efficiency in L/100km

Therefore:

Alive&Kicking's diesel:

235.208/6.0 = 39.20133333 = approx. 39.2 MPG

EU fuel economy for the Prius (based on EPA figures?):

235.208/4.3 = 54.69953488 = approx 54.7 MPG

Given these figures, the Prius would thus appear to be almost 40% more fuel efficient (54.7/39.2 = 1.395408163 = approx 140%) than A&K's diesel.

Reply to
Glenn Shaw

"Glenn Shaw" schreef in bericht news:Xns97D25C5DD848togusacomcastnet@216.196.97.136...

Thank you!!!

Reply to
Alive&Kicking

What's the actual price for 1 gallon of gas in the U.S.??

Reply to
Alive&Kicking

Where I live it was $2.75 US yesterday.

Reply to
Bill

then I guess "Mission Accomplished" it is for GW and DC...

Reply to
Russ Greene

I've heard talk of hydrogen, ethanol and bio-diesel but our leaders are mostly silent about conservation. The less gas I burn, the less gas costs. It's the law.

Reply to
Bill

Depends on where you live.

for U.S. prices. California seems to be the highest (stateside) in the U.S. due to the heavy regulations. The higher prices then spread from the regulations adopted from that state into others (in time). Diesel is frowned upon (emissions) and is often more than lowest-priced petrol grade.

Of course, you need to factor in what those in the U.S. pay separately from other countries in the form of insurance for social services that is included in their country's gax tax to make the comparison fair. If you were to remove private insurance and place all taxes into gas as other countries do, then U.S. gas would be around $10 per gallon.

Otherwise, Venezuela has nice prices of around $ 0.12 per gallon.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

. . .

June 3, 2003

$2.659 @ Rogers, AR $2.599 @ Forrest City, AR $2.649 @ Burnsville, MS $2.589 @ Huntsville, AL

Bob Wilson

Reply to
Bob Wilson

$3.39 @ Salinas, CA

Reply to
Robert D. Vanderslice II

$3.019 @ Chandler, AZ (+/-, depending on the actual gas station)

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

$3.30 (or more depending on station) @ Monterey Pennisula,Ca

Reply to
Michael N. LeVine

$2.74 @ Mt. Pleasant Pennsylvania

Reply to
Seth_Pgh_Pa

$2.99 @ Burlington, MA

Reply to
Jean B.

The conversion from km/liter is km/liter times 2.38.

The EPA mileage numbers are notoriously HI. EPA says Prius gets about

60 MPG - HA! Consumers report quotes an average of 44 MPG, city & highway My 05 gets about 40 - 41 in town but I live at 5200ft and have lots of hills. Just returned from a 3300 mile trip and got about 50.

Turn off the air conditioner the get a 1 - 2 MPG boost, if you can take the heat.

I'm told using synthetic oil may increase mileage 1-2 MPG

Want to get 50 mpg? Drive 55. It's as easy as that.

Reply to
Bill