Toyota Corolla hiccups 65mph?

My 1996 Corolla has been doing this weird thing. When I am accelerating and hit the 65mph mark. THe car does a sudden jolt or hiccup like thing. Strangely it only happens between 60 and 70 mph. It almost feels like a slight power loss. Once the hiccup happens I am fine though. It is not constant. It won't happen until the next time I power up and get back up to the listed above speed. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am going to the shop and I always like to have an idea what to tell the mechanic. Just so I don't get taken for a ride.

Reply to
Tony

I am wondering if this is when the torque convertor locks up (I know it is supposed to lock up at a lower speed, but maybe that is part of the problem).

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

Dr. Jeff is kind of on the right track. Assuming you have an automatic transmission, check the condition of the automatic transmission fluid. If it is black or smells burnt, have it drained and refilled (do not have it flushed).

Reply to
Ray O

There is a type of flush that does not use outside pressure, but instead uses the transmission's pressure to exchange fluid. If you use a pressured system expect to need a replacement transmission in about 6 months or less as the pressurized system of flushing will destroy numerous seals.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

And they disintegrate at 85mph.

Reply to
His Highness the TibetanMonkey

On Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:52:11 AM UTC-6, His Highness the TibetanMonkey,

That's like bullet train speeds compared to the fastest monkey, which have been clocked up to 34 mph. And that's with no one sitting on them. With a rider, I imagine most monkeys would be screaming for mercy, and bite the rider in the ass if given the chance. So with the usual fat slob sitting on a monkey, the speed of disintegration is probably 0.

Reply to
nm5k

Thanks RayO, I got a Drain & Fill ATF from Jiffy Lube and the car accelerates great. No more hiccups. I drove for about 100 miles to test things out. Things are so much more smooth now. I wish I had seen what the transmission fluid looked like as it came out.

Reply to
Tony

Thanks RayO, I got a Drain & Fill ATF from Jiffy Lube and the car accelerates great. No more hiccups. I drove for about 100 miles to test things out. Things are so much more smooth now. I wish I had seen what the transmission fluid looked like as it came out.

********** You're welcome!
Reply to
Ray O

Got it. At 1/2 mile or less in daylight, I agree. Moose are pretty much invisible at night so any speed above 30 or 40 doesn't give the driver any time to react, and in a low car, the driver can see oncoming headlights under the moose's belly and literally never know what they hit.

Reply to
Ray O