Prius versus Echo

Hi all,

I'm curious what the fuel efficiency difference is between the Prius and the Echo. The price difference is enormous of course. And the Echo is smaller, but I'm mainly interested in conserving fuel. Thanks for any real-world factual info!

Yib

Reply to
Yibbels

I had a Tercel, which is what became the Echo (more or less). Same drivetrain. I had an automatic. Before I sold it I was averaging 45MPG combined. Now, I live in a somewhat rural area and travel roads where I can consistantly drive 45-65 MPH almost everywhere I go, which (obviously) seems to be the most efficiant range for this engine. I often wonder what it would have been had it been a 5-speed!!!

I also had a Prius we were selling for the boss' neighbor. I didn't drive it that much, but I reset the computer before driving it. Between my use and test drives, the computer said 48 MPG. When I first reset it, my driving was as describes above and in a small 'city' (18,000 people, whoop-dee-doo) and managed 42 for the two days I had it. This was backed up by my own calculation done by filling the tank, driving and then refilling the tank.

The only problem I can forsee is the technological nightmare if (and when) something in the drivetrain breaks or the batteries need replacing. And as an aside, the Prius would not start without a jump! Think I'll stick to gas for a while...

Reply to
hachiroku

If you just want to save money/gas, then get a small diesel, like a Peugeot

206 or something, they will do more mpg than a prius 2, and are less complex. However the prius 2 is a gadget freaks delight and in England has many advantages, despite being very expensive to buy. All Prius electric drive/batteries have an 8 year guarantee.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

mrcheerful

What I'd really really like to get is a Smart car, which literally gets 80 miles to the gallon.

I was a passenger in one when I visited Europe and they are really cool. Plus, most of the time I don't need all the extra cargo space that a bigger car has.

they aren't available yet. Maybe next yearif the people at Zapworld.com can overcome the regulatory hurdles. Yib.

Reply to
Yibbels

I've owned both the Tercal and the Honda Civic.

The Civic before its first oil change got 42 mpg; after, it got 37. This was in an area where stop-start and hilly driving was common.

The Tercel I remember getting better than 35. I wasn't so concerned back when I had that car. It was a more hilly area.

Yib

Reply to
Yibbels

they are available here in Canada!

Reply to
dc

What kind of fuel efficiency are they getting? What's the price? Who is selling them?

Reply to
Yibbels

This is odd, since usually as an engine wears in the mileage increases.

Reply to
hachiroku

Really, How come I saw people at fancy neighborhood drive this all the time. I mean South Orange County, CA at Coastal area. They drive it to the local resturants and supermarket.

Reply to
Nick

I called Smart and they confirmed that there are certainly Smart cars in the USA "under the radar"

Also, I believe

either is selling or will soon sell these cars in California.

think the problem with using them in the USA is that the dieselfuel we have here has too much sulfur. I am guessing they are alsoselling regular gasoline Smart cars in Canada. Same with the Lupo which gets up to 65 mpg:

Yibbels

Reply to
Ghislain

Clearly, the answer to best mileage in a Civic is do NOT change the oil!

Reply to
Buck Frobisher

My 2003 Echo manual has averages 48 mph (45 in winter) in commuter driving.

People report that the Prius averages 44 mpg, but it varies a lot. It does much better in city driving.

The hybrid isn't magic - all the energy comes from the gas. So if you're steady at 55 mph in the top gear, there's no benefit to hauling around a battery pack.

For the price of a Prius, you can buy almost two Echos.

Reply to
kgold

kgold wrote: :: "Yibbels" writes: ::: ::: I'm curious what the fuel efficiency difference is ::: between the Prius and the Echo. The price difference ::: is enormous of course. And the Echo is smaller, ::: but I'm mainly interested in conserving fuel. ::: Thanks for any real-world factual info! :: :: My 2003 Echo manual has averages 48 mph (45 in winter) in commuter :: driving. :: :: People report that the Prius averages 44 mpg, but it varies a lot. :: It does much better in city driving. :: :: The hybrid isn't magic - all the energy comes from the gas. So if :: you're steady at 55 mph in the top gear, there's no benefit to :: hauling around a battery pack. :: :: For the price of a Prius, you can buy almost two Echos.

Give that man a cigar. Is this really a.a.t?

Reply to
FanJet

I have a friend at work who just bought a new Echo with manual tranny. He is getting 41-42 so far. His uncle had a new Prius and was getting

47-49 and he sold it a few weeks ago for a new Corolla. Said it took forever to warm up >Hi all,
Reply to
Conman