Future Tech, plug-ins and electrics

Several days ago Toyota announced that they are developing plug-in hybrids. These are hybrids with larger battery packs. They're designed to be plugged into a socket and charged at night, then you can drive up to, perhaps, 8 or 10 miles on battery power alone before the gasoline motor kicks in. You should get many of the benefits of an electric car, but still retain the long range and ability to "fill her up" at gas stations during those extended highway trips.

Some people have already developed conversion kits to make the exsting Prius into a plug-in hybrid. It does void your warranty, unfortunately. It seems likely that these homebrew kits, plus the higher price of gasoline, spurred Toyota to give plug-ins a proper try.

As with pure electric cars, batteries are the limiting technology. Not only are they expensive, but the discharge cycle of an electric car is much more demanding on batteries, and they are prone to degrade faster than the batteries in a "conventional" hybrid.

One interesting aspect of this is that it could eventually pave the way for fully electric cars. I can imagine future models that move more and more work onto the electrical system, with improved battery technology, until it becomes practical to jettison the gasoline engine completely.

Now, speaking of electric cars. . . I was floored by the recent unveiling of the Tesla Roadster. It's going to be an expensive car and very much a toy rather than a practical, economical car -- but what a toy! You are looking at 0-60 MPH in 3.7 seconds, upwards of 250 miles driving range per charge, and top speed about 135 MPH. It appears that battery technology is just beginning to edge over the line of adequacy for electric cars. Storage technology (both batteries and supercapacitors) is being heavily researched around the world, so it's only going to get better.

I can imagine five or six years from now, electric cars becoming really practical. The benefits can be huge. These cars can get energy efficiency equivalent to 135 MPG. Mechanically they are very simple: no complex engine to repair or keep in tune, no oil changes, no filters or hoses, no spark plugs, no exhaust system. They could have a long lifespan with very little maintenance. Based on some storage technology that's in labs today, it's just possible they might achive

400-mile range, fast recharge, and much reduced battery degradation over time (or practically none, in the case of supercaps).

We aren't there yet. But I'm beginning to feel optimistic, there's a light at the end of the tunnel for electric cars. It's getting close enough to think about buying one sometime before I get onto Social Security. :)

Reply to
Tony Belding

Dave

Depending on the source for electricity in your area, a BEV may or maynot put out more greenhouse gas emissions than a 55MPG HEV. Mainly, if the primary source for electricity in your area is coal (much of the northeast), your HEV is cleaner than a BEV running on coal-powered electricity. However, if your electricity source is natural gas, the BEV is usually cleaner than the HEV (depending on the method used for natural gas->electricity conversion), and it gets even better for the BEV if you are using a hydroelectric or other renewable electric source. In comparisons with a generic 17MPG SUV, an average 26MPG vehicle, and a high-efficiency 38MPG vehicle, the 38MPG vehicle still will beat the coal-powered BEV, but isn't as clean as the HEV (and gas and renewables powered BEVs are much better than the 38MPG vehicle).

see: "Battery-Powered Electric and Hybrid Electric Vehicle Projects to Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions: A Resource Guide for Project Development," July 2002

section 4.3

(and that's besides the arguements that it's easier to manage emissions from a handful of electric plants, as opposed to millions of independently-owned cars... typically, electric charging rates are still cheaper than petroleum rates, too.)

Reply to
mrv

Yeah, you are probably right now that I think of it. Still it's not a huge difference -- and 100% coal-generated grid power is really the worst case scenario. Even then both cars would be considerably cleaner than your average conventional gasoline-powered car.

Greenhouse gas emissions are not the only factor to look at. Despite its efficiency, the hybrid still requires trips to the filling station, still requires a fuel that is entering global depletion and is largely imported from foreign lands of doubtful friendliness. Peak Oil and energy independence are my concerns, moreso than global warming.

Plus, the Tesla Roadster looks like the most fun car to drive that I can imagine. And I have a pretty good imagination.

Reply to
Tony Belding