Hybrid War: Honda vs Toyota

That was my experience--down to the "torrential rain" thing, not to mention a couple decent winters.

Mine's a company car; when they changed out the OEM tires a few weeks ago and put on some God-knows-what things, my mileage dropped like a rock. Hint: the Prius is a carefully engineered system, down to the tires. Change out anything, including the tires, and you break the system. Want to keep the mileage up? Keep with the Integritys (or similar tires designed for high fuel efficiency using low rolling resistance design).

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

The 2004-2005 NWH20 Prius will reset the Consumption Screen odometer/MPG at each fillup (more than about 3 gallons) automatically (after one full revolution of the wheel?), or if you manually hit the Reset button.

The 2006-2009 NHW20 Prius will only reset the Consumption Screen odometer at each fillup automatically (same conditions as 2004-

2005). The Consumption Screen odometer/MPG will reset if you manually hit the Reset button. (The cumulative MPG will only reset if you press the Reset button.)

I have a 2005. If I read you correctly a later model would let me accumulate a lifetime mileage figure by not hitting the reset button but still let me see the number of miles on each tank. I could, therefore, reset my trip odometer at the same time I reset my cumulative mpg and get cumulative mileage figures for much longer periods like, for example, the

5000 miles between oil changes. Right?
Reply to
Was Istoben

That is theoretically true, but I have my doubts about how reliably this would be calculated. Does anyone have information on exactly how the calculation is done?

Reply to
Al Sherman

Argghhh... I didn't want to hear this (am thinking of getting a '10 Prius - have wanted one since '04). I was hoping the tires would be different ones... I *hate* the Integrity tires (which also come on Corollas) for driving in snow - lousy traction. Rain & dry roads - fine; snowy roads - crummy. I always wind up getting rid of the Integrities when I have a new car/Corolla - just can't hack them - feel too dangerous in winter.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy

Agreed. If you pick up a second set of rims and some snow tires from the right place they will change them every spring and fall no charge.

Reply to
Was Istoben