Toyota to halve hybrid [system] price, size for next Prius

Toyota to halve hybrid price, size for next Prius

Reuters October 25, 2007 - 9:20 am ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp. will slash the price and size of its hybrid system by around half for the next-generation Prius model, and use a nickel-metal hydride battery instead of lithium-ion, a top executive said.

"When we went from the first-generation Prius to the second-generation, we did the same thing," Executive Vice President Kazuo Okamoto, in charge of Toyota's research and development, told reporters in Tokyo earlier today.

Toyota, the world's biggest automaker, has not publicly disclosed a timeframe for the introduction of the third-generation Prius model. Some media reports have speculated the planned late-2008 launch would be delayed because of concerns over the safety of lithium-ion batteries.

"I can't tell you when it will come to market, but the preparations are making steady progress," Okamoto said. He added that the next Prius would "definitely" use improved nickel-hydride batteries rather than higher-energy lithium-ion.

"Lithium-ion is going to take some time," he said.

Toyota, which pioneered the gasoline-electric hybrid powertrain with the Prius in 1997, has set a goal of selling 1 million hybrid vehicles annually soon after 2010. It hopes to eventually make the system available across its vehicle line-up.

The Prius, an easily recognizable hybrid-only car, has helped Toyota cultivate an image as a maker of fuel-efficient cars, also driving sales of its mainstay cars such as the petrol-engine Camry sedan and RAV4 crossover vehicle.

To give sales of future hybrid models a boost, Okamoto said Toyota would design all of its gasoline-electric cars in a way that would make them instantly recognizable as a hybrid -- for example through a unique front grille.

Toyota offers a hybrid version of the best-selling Camry, but the Prius, with its green cachet, far outpaces it in sales.

Ten years since the launch of the Prius, Toyota has few rivals in the hybrid market, with most Europeans geared towards clean-diesel technology as an alternative to petrol engines for saving fuel and reducing carbon dioxide emissions.

Okamoto conceded that diesel engines were inherently better suited for saving fuel over long-distance cruising than hybrids, which capture energy lost during stop-and-start city driving. But he stressed that Toyota's future hybrids would be just as good -- if not better -- than today's diesels on the highway.

Diesel cars now make up more than half of new car sales in Europe, but are virtually non-existent in Japan.

Some European automakers -- as well as domestic ones such as Nissan Motor Co. and Honda Motor Co. are looking to change that, but Okamoto said Toyota would not join the fray.

"There's really no reason to bring diesel cars (to the Japanese market)," he said.

Reply to
C. E. White

It's nice to see Toyota continuing innovations in automobile designs. Now that they are the biggest automaker in the world they could just rest on their laurels like previous manufacturers but they are continuing the business plan that got them there.

Reply to
badgolferman

Its weird they did not mention anything about plug in hybrids. Does it mean they are scratching away the idea?

Reply to
EdV

Actually the recent surge in GM sales around the world has put GM back in front of Toyota for 2007 (or not depending on which "sales" you count). It seems that at least for one more year GM has a decent chance to remain #1.

From

GM No. 1 again

October 22, 2007

By SARAH A. WEBSTER

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

After a strong third quarter, General Motors Corp. regained its No. 1 ranking.

The Detroit-based automaker reported global sales of 7.06 million for the first nine months of the year, a number boosted by overseas sales, particularly of the Chevrolet brand and the Opel Corsa small car.That's a lead of 10,000 vehicles over Japanese automaker Toyota Motor Corp., which has taken its share of dings in recent weeks, from losing top executives to watching its brand-defining reputation for top quality questioned by Consumer Reports.

And while GM's sales lead is relatively small given the millions of cars and trucks sold around the world, it's clear there's some psychological importance in the crown - not just for GM, but also for Detroit, which has seen its automotive muscle weaken after decades of competition from foreign automakers.

"It's a morale booster, for GM and the other Detroit automakers," said Art Spinella, president of CNW Marketing Research in Bandon, Ore. "If GM can bat back the Toyota onslaught," other U.S. automakers can, too. Despite the closely watched sales ranking, both GM and Toyota downplayed its importance Monday, after Toyota reported its global sales results. GM had reported its worldwide sales results last week.

"We've been No. 1 for 76 years. We like being No. 1, and we're doing to stay focused on our long term goals," said GM spokesman John McDonald.

However, he added, "The question of who's No. 1 and 2 . we can't let it distract us from the job we have, which is to build the best cars and trucks we can around the world. Obviously, we're fighting for every sale."

Toyota isn't in a battle to sell the most cars and trucks either, said company spokesman John McCandless.

"There's no goal to be the No. 1 volume maker," he said.

Despite that, he emphasized that GM's lead is very small and that the full year of 2007 "is probably going to be very close."

In 2006, GM had 9.09 million sales, while Toyota reported 8.8 million. 1 and beating GM, which does not give forecasts for full-year auto production.

In the first quarter of this year, Toyota took the lead, with 2.35 million vehicles over GM's 2.26 million.

GM outsold Toyota in the second quarter, but Toyota maintained the front spot in the year-to-date raceby 39,000 cars and trucks.

So GM's performance through September reflects some hard charging through the third quarter, especially in the automaker's business units outside of North America.

GM reported record sales in three of its overseas units. Sales in the Latin America, Africa and Middle East region were up 20%. In the Asia-Pacific region, they were up 16%. Europe also scored a double-digit gain of 15%.

In all, GM has not reported 21 consecutive quarters of year-over-year growth outside the United States.

GM's Chevrolet brand sales were strong around the world, too. The best-selling brand in GM's portfolio, Chevrolet delivered 1.18 million sales in the third quarter, up 5% from a year ago. The brand is up 3.2% for the first nine months of the year.

A few automotive experts said the niceties coming out of GM and Toyota on the subject belie the true competitiveness behind the scenes.

"This is a fistfight," said Spinella, who believes both automakers want leadership, no matter what statements they might make publicly.

However, David Cole, president for the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, said being No.

While GM clearly had the lead, some experts questioned GM's numbers, saying GM incorrectly included some Chinese sales. Excluding those figures would have brought GM's number to 8.68 million sales, below Toyota's.

For 2007, Toyota also set a global sales target of 9.34 million vehicles - a number that some interpreted as a target of being No. 1 is not as important as profits. So while pride may be wrapped up in the crown, profitability is the true measure of success and who's No. 1.

Holding the top spot, he emphasized, is a "hollow victory if you're not profitable." Last year, Toyota clearly beat GM on the profitability point. Toyota reported a profit of $14 billion, while GM reported $2-billion loss.

Brett Hoselton, an auto analyst with Keybanc Capital Markets in Cleveland, agreed. Despite GM's strong performance overseas, the automaker must maintain its market share in the United States, which still makes up 57% of the company's overall sales volume, to stay financially strong.

Because when you get down to the bottom line, he added, "GM still has a long way to catch up to Toyota."

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

No, Toyota tends to say as little as possible about future products.

Reply to
Ray O

Toyota better start cutting Prius prices before the 2008 GM two-mode hybrid developed with BMW and Mercedes come online. The GM system was used on city buses in Seattle and many other US cities years before the Prius came out.

The GM-BMW-MB system with cylinder deactivation technology should become the best-in-class hybrid system when they start out in various models next year. And GM's new batteries are said to be much better.

GM's turnaround in the past year or so is very impressive. A year ago I wouldn't drive past a GM lot. Now Detroit is under all new management maybe some of these technologies can work into cars in a cost effective way when UAW really heads back to work ;)

Reply to
johngdole

I like competition, the consumers benefit a lot from them. I like the idea they are using the city buses for trial, does this also mean the new hybrids will have rear engine rear wheel drive? I'm just thinking the normal city bus configuration.

Why would cylinder deactivation be best in class?, maybe I'm just reading it wrong but Toyota turns off the whole engine and not just a few cylinders. From what I read, Toyota continuous to use NI-MH bats, if GM use Li-ion no doubt its much better

Not to be so critical, but isn't it only from the past year that GM lost its #1 ranking to Toyota? The turnaround was for the worse. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Big3 and I have relatives in Michigan and I wont complain if they get better job opportunities.

Reply to
EdV