Mileage per gas tank

I purchased my 2006 prius at the begginig of June. I have since filled up with gas twice and I've gotten about 350 miles/tank of gas. I didn't let it
run all the way down but I was down to 1 bar on the gas tank reading. I do mostly city driving, running around town. Shouldn't I be getting better milage?

What mileage are you getting now? Do you commute? If so, what is the one-way distance? If it is less than 5 miles, you certainly can't expect to get the EPA city figure. What is your highway speed? If it is over 55, you certainly can't expect to get the EPA highway figure.
Bill wrote:

Bill,
I work from home so there is no cummute. Mostly I run around and the trips are much less than 5 miles. When I drive on the highway my speed is usually 70 miles/hour. I guess those are two reason for the lower milage.
thank you,

I'm getting better than 50 however under those circumstances I'd expect about 35 overall. You are probably doing better than that (you didn't say) because one rarely gets more than 9 gallons in the tank any you are making 350 miles.

Being around 350 miles when the gauge first hits one bar isn't all that uncommon for my 2004, but the real question is how many miles per gallon are you getting? How many gallons have you put in at each fillup?
--
Mike Rosenberg
<http://macconsult.com/cafepress/ Net Junkie and Mac-themed shirts etc.
Mike Rosenberg wrote:

I'm not exactly sure how many miles per gallon I'm getting. I'm going to pay a little closer attention to it and also keep track of how many gallonns I'm putting in per fill-up.

Turn on the Multi Function Display (the big screen in the middle of the dash) and the car itself will tell you the MPGs you're getting. Calculating MPGs manually from the reading on a gas pump is probably less accurate than the car's own figure. The car counts every opening of the fuel injectors. The injectors are accurate because they have to be to keep emissions low.

Over in GreenHybrid.com, we have a FAQ about how to get optimum Prius performance. It is in the Prius forum.
Bob Wilson
I commute to work 52 miles one way and I take the secondary roads and drive as close to 40 MPH has possible all the way. Ever since I changed my route to work by staying off the interstate and slowing down I'm consistently getting 63 MPG and easily 600 miles per tank.
Slow down and drive 40 MPH if you want higher MPG and more miles per tank.

Bravo! It's more relaxing too, isn't it?

How many people on 2-lane roads where passing is difficult get POed at you when they're stuck behind a car going 40 on a 55 road?
Cathy

Ah yes, leveraging one's fuel economy. When this happens, they are saving gas too. Those who get POed are simply too stupid to care about.

I want to get from point A to point B, without being held up by the slow-poke in front of me - no matter how virtuous his/her motives. Ever notice how long of a line forms behind someone going 45-ish on a 2-lane road where safe passing places are few & far between? That alone shows that most people have no desire to go 40 mph on a 55 road.
Cathy

Honestly, Cathy, I was thinking in terms of driving the speed limit. I drive 55 when the speed limit is 55 and occasionally cause these long lines. I don't feel sorry for those behind me. I've met a few patrol cars under these circumstances so perhaps I've even saved one a speeding ticket. Only 4-lane divided highways have higher speed limits in MN. Although I drive 55 on these too, the other cars are free to pass in the left lane. On occasion I've found myself in the right lane in a line of other drivers who have also elected to drive 55.
I hear people complain about the high cost of fuel , blaming someone else for gouging them. These selfish people will be the last to admit that they are empowered to lower that price through conservation. There is something unfair about my paying more for gas because they are wasting it.

If you're driving the speed limit, then no cause for people behind you to get irritated, IMO. They may want to go faster, but that will be up to them. But 40 mph was the speed being advocated in the previous posts, which I didn't think was realistic for most drivers.
Cathy

What an arrogant egotistical response. Your moral dictates are neither profound nor are they responsible. If you decide to go 40mph in a 55mph zone and someone else prefers to go faster your only 'moral high-ground' option is to pull over if they are unable to pass. Period. In a free America you do not have the moral (and probably legal) right to enforce your physical control over another. Go 10mph if you so choose but stay out of the way of others attempting to exercise their free choice to get where they're going. If they choose to exceed the limit that's between them and the law - not you. peace

Arrogant, egotistical response? You didn't even read it did you? It started with "Honestly, Cathy, I was thinking in terms of driving the speed limit.", a statement that renders your harsh retort nonsense. Care to try again? Read it, and respond without insult. Besides being impolite, insulting people in the anonymity of Usenet is cowardly.

I suppose that's meant to get a rise out of me but I've already said enough. Judge me as you please. Curious why you think that I even know how to read. . . peace

    Actually, it has been my observation that for MOST Americans, it is unacceptably slow to drive at the legal posted speed limit. I tend to drive close to it, and am continually getting blasted around by folks that cannot stand to go less than 10 MPH to 15 MPH OVER the posted speed limit.     Now, if folks want to do that on the open road, great...go for it. However, what torques me off is that most American drivers seem to think that it is JUST as appropriate to ignore the speed limit when driving through congested construction zones, backed up traffic and on rain-slick, twisty roads. How stupid is THAT?     (and is THAT enough gasoline for the flame war? I think so *smile*).     Regards     Dave Mundt

I'm also a law-abider; I believe that (for the most part) speeding is a fool's game. However, I've deliberately sped three times in recent years... 1) Two 12 hour legs each way while driving from Arizona to a little north of Portland for vacation. 3 mph meant a 1/2 hour difference when it mattered most, and breaking the trip into three 8 hr legs would have used two extra days we couldn't afford. 2) My wife got the word that if she wanted to say goodbye to her mother she'd better get to the hospital *fast* - I knew the extra speed wouldn't make a big difference, but there are some prices too high to pay 3) Last week we had a total power loss to a communication site we share with two telecom carriers - hundreds of thousands of dollars in equipment depended on making the two hour trip as quickly as possible. (The propane supplier had not made the delivery the week before - we got power back in time to save the batteries and keep the building temperature below 100 degrees. Whew!)
My point is that each of us will encounter drivers who have problems of their own - they have had word their loved one is hospitalized, they just had an argument, they are out of their mind with meth, they are a new driver, they stole the car, they are trying to get a woman in labor to the hospital. It doesn't matter at all whether they are good people or evil people. We don't control other cars; we control the car we drive. Let's do that well.
Mike

Site Timeline