More buzz about a recent Prius crash

[quote]PASADENA - A martial arts student punched the lights out of her gym Thursday morning when she crashed her Toyota Prius through the storefront and struck an elevator shaft, trapping an employee inside.

"I was going to class, and as I was parking in the parking space, the car wouldn't turn off and it kept going even though my foot wasn't on the accelerator," said Terry Young of Pasadena. "It continued to accelerate into the wall and continued to move after I was out."

Young's car slammed into the Shan Tung Kung Fu martial arts center in the Roosevelt Place strip mall in the 2200 block of Colorado Boulevard, then plowed through a wall before coming to a stop inside the elevator shaft.

Read more:

The photo shows an NHW20 Prius. Another article reports:

. . "I was going to class, and as I was parking in the parking space, the car wouldn't turn off and it kept going even though my foot wasn't on the accelerator," said driver Terry Young of Pasadena. "It continued to accelerate into the wall and continued to move after I was out." . . . [/quote]

From a third article:

. . She said her Toyota Prius would not stop, even after she pulled the keys out of the ignition. . . . [/quote] This sounds like a classic case of accelerator pedal entrapment which emphasizes the importance to understand:

Shift to "N" and live!

You can shift a Prius (actually most cars) to "N" and the engine control computer will keep it from blowing up. Even if the engine is lost, gaining control of the car is key and once in "N", there won't be any power going to where you don't want to go! But this is not a natural act.

Do yourself a favor and practice shifting into "N". Go to a quiet street with no traffic or a parking lot and while running, mash the accelerator and as the Prius takes off, shift into "N". The first time, it is new and a little intimidating but then you'll learn it is 'no big deal.' But don't forget to train your kids and wife and husband and anyone else who might drive your car. Shift to "N" and live.

Bob Wilson

Reply to
bwilson4web