MPG Reading With ICE Shutdown

Recently on a couple of occasions, I've noticed that my instantaneous MPG was reading around 35 MPG while the Energy screen indicated that the ICE was
off. I was going downhill on the freeway on both occasions. When I got to the bottom of the hill I hit bumper to bumper rush hour traffic and was running on battery, according to the display, but my MPG was showing around 35. This continued for a mile or two and then things got back to normal. Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on here?
Kari
kari wrote:

The Energy Screen is just eye candy - it doesn't tell you everything that is going on. please see http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?ty96 for more detail on this same question.