Oil Use

2007 Prius I didn't realize that it would be so important to monitor the oil in this car. The manual states that one quart of 5W-30 is used up by normal use every 600 miles. As each tank will get you 425-475 miles, every gas re-fill really does require a check of the oil levels. Something I didn't do in other cars that I've owned.

timespace

The OP is either a troll or badly confused. A Prius does not normally consume 1 quart of oil every 600 miles.

Reply to
richard schumacher

I don't know what's "normal", but have good knowledge of two '04s and one '06 that accumulated more than 100k miles. I change the oil most times on all of them, and periodically check the levels including at the end of that oil's life cycle. I haven't seen the oil level below the "full" mark on any of these cars.

My manual isn't handy, but it will be interesting to see if it in fact states 1Q/600 miles.

Reply to
nunymouse

I might believe a quart in 6000 miles, but even my 2002 with 110K miles doesn't use measurable oil between 5K mile changes. The 2002 manual doesn't say anything about how much oil might be used, only that a car driven short trips may have a lot of moisture in the oil that will burn off in highway driving and make the consumption appear high.

Since oil consumption can abruptly increase at any time through leaks or burning (Hondas that break a ring are known to do that) we should all check oil in any vehicle at every fill-up.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I read that in the manual and considered it a CYO entry. I have never used any oil after 15K miles.

Mark

Reply to
mark b