Intake manifold leak in 1994 Explorer

I just came back from an Mobil station where they told me that they saw my manifold leaking coolant when they were changing my oil. When put under pressure, there was a pretty substantial leak of coolant. I didn't see it because I had dropped the car off and went out of town. The Explorer was using a lot of oil. Usually a quart every 500 to 600 miles. No oil on the ground and no smoking. Other than that, it was runing great. At my last oil change, an Exxon mechanic told me to use

5W-30 and there was a small oil leak but it wasn't big enough to explain the oil usage.

So now my manifold gasket is being replaced. They showed me the wear on the gasket. But I'm worried this would have never happened if I hadn't told them to tighten the manifold intake bolts. I'm sick about spending $450 for this uneeded job.

Can someone tell me if this repair sounds legitimate?

Thanks for your help.

Fool in Houston!

Reply to
David

Mileage might help one to form an accurate opinion....

Intake gasket leaks are common on these motors and can even be the reason for high oil consumption. Without seeing the car myself, I can still assume that this repair is more than likely legit.... What would be an "unneeded" repair would be to let the problem ride and have to replace the motor because of it. If it makes you feel any better, mine didn't leak coolant but did use oil at an alarming rate before I changed the lower intake gasket. I have changed several for coolant leaks.

Even if you had gone out of town, you still had the option of saying "No" until either you saw for yourself (if you don't trust the shop, why on earth did you go there?) or had the opportunity for a second opinion.

Jim Warman

Jim, thanks for the information. I appreciate it. I have 135,000 miles on the Explorer. As you can tell, I made several errors dealing with this situation. However, your comments have made me feel better about having to spend $450.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Reply to
David

No problem David..... mine let go about the 95,000 mile mark but wasn't accompanied by any loss of coolant. Mine had developed a healthy thirst for oil and had fouled off #5 spark plug.

What really works well for me is being able to take it into work and use my hoist and the air compressor .

I'll be in Calgary next week at the Days Inn if anyone wants to give my sh*t or have a brewski....

Jim Warman