plug-in batteries

Driving home tonite in commute traffic, I heard snippets of an interview with a guy that apparently modified his Prius with additional batteries and a plug-charging system. I didn't catch whether this was a home-built thing, or if there is somebody doing this mod. It sounds like a great idea, as the battery range would seem to be enough to handle most of our around-town driving, using 90-cent per gallon (equivalent) electricity. Anybody know anything about this?

Reply to
Dand

Wait a few years and you'll be able to buy one from Toyota, at a reasonable price, with a warranty.

Reply to
richard schumacher

and more specifically
The economic feasibility is the big question in my mind. That's a lot of money up front IIRC.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

The first step, if you have an NHW20, 2004 or later, is to look at the EV button modification to your car. This lets you run short distances, about a mile, in just EV mode. However, there is some differences of opinion about this.

Bob Wilson

Reply to
Bob Wilson