Highlander Hybrid 2006

Anyone have info on actual mileage vs. posted (window sticker)?

Jack

Reply to
Jack Dow

Check Consumer Reports. I am pretty sure they had an article about it. When my wife was considering a Prius, the salesman happened to mention that mileage on the Highlander hybrid sucked.

Reply to
Art

Correct. Call local public library, ask if they have back issues of CR, then go to library and read back issues.

You can also get this info via an online subscription to the CR web site at:

Consumer Reports found the following mileage for the Highlander.

V6: 13 city, 25 highway. 150-mile trip: 22. Cruising range per tank of gas: 390 miles.

V6 Hybrid: 16 city, 28 highway. 150-mile trip: 27.Cruising range per tank of gas: 435 miles.

To summarize, the hybrid Highlander does offer better MPG, but it's still an SUV and giving it hybrid power doesn't work miracles in the MPG department. And the hybrid Highlander is also more expensive to buy. I like the idea of the hybrid and appreciate the advantages, but in the case of the Highlander Hybrid and other hybrid SUVs, at current gas prices, it'll take maybe 5-10 years to pay you back for the higher purchase price.

BTW, for the comparable Lexus SUV, results are almost identical. Suggest you read the CR back issues.

If you want high MPG from a Toyota hybrid, get a Prius. Then rent an SUV when you need one.

Reply to
neilnewsgroups

The is basic problem with all hybrids. They do not provide enough of a decrease in fuel consumption, compared to a conventionally power vehicle, to justify the purchase price premium. To say nothing of the thousands of dollars that will be needed to replace the battery pack at some point down the line.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I see your point, but there are other benefits to owning hybrids beyond MPG, such as increased driving range per tank of gas, less need to buy gas, less air pollution, etc. IOW, there's more to the hybrid experience than just the superior MPG. In some cases, such as the Honda Accord Hybrid, which is the most powerful Accord ever sold in the US, the benefits include greater horsepower and performance, without the MPG suffering. I don't know what the upcoming Camry Hybrid will offer, but it could offer a similar set of features.

I do agree that if all a consumer is looking for is high MPG to pay off the higher price of the Highlander Hybrid compared to the conventional V6 version, that consumer is going to have to wait many years, at least at current gas prices. If we have higher gas prices and spikes like we've had in the past few years, the time to pay off the Highlander Hybrid's higher purchase price would get shorter.

And let's not forget federal and state tax incentives available to hybrid buyers in the US. But I really don't need an SUV and wouldn't pay the $40k for the Highlander Hybrid or the $50k for the comparable Lexus hybrid SUV, even though the tax deals can lower those prices by a few thousand$$$.

Anyway, I suggest US shoppers look at the Consumer Reports reviews and also check on federal and state tax incentives for hybrid buyers.

Reply to
neilnewsgroups

For various reasons there is a probability that the hybrids will last longer and therefore the total cost of ownership per day will be lower and resell value will be higher

Different techniques in producing electricity in hybrids will also make the hybrids even more attractive

There will eventually be less dependency on oil when fuel cells will replace conventional engines

The hybrids and early users are pawing the way into the future

Reply to
gosinn

I hope more buyers are willing to pay a premium price to buy hybrids. Even given the fact that premium will buy ALL of the fuel for a conventionally powered car for the three to four years that the average new car buyer in the US keeps their car. If more buyers buy them that will save gas for those of us that like to drive new high powered V8 luxury or sporty cars than only get 25 MPG. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That may work for the wealthy or those that keep their vehicles till the wheels off, but the premium price makes the hybrids a poor choice for the average new car buyer. The fact is the average new car buyer in the US buys another new car in three to four years and trades their car with 45K to 60K on the clock. The premium price for the current hybrids of up to $8,000, even after tax breaks for those that itemize, will more than pay for all of ALL of the fuel for a conventionally powered vehicles for those three of four years. Every aditional 1,000 added to the finaced anount adds around $50 per month to ones payment on a three year contract, as well. That would raise a three year $30,000 loan to a $35,000 loan. The payment from $911 to $1,063. $154 will buy a lot of gas every month, even at $3.00 a gallon ;)

mike hunt

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I'm buying an 8 year/120k mileage zero deductible Honda care service agreement for $1175. No worries about hybrid issues then.

Reply to
Art

Accord Hybrid was only $2000 more and it is like driving a V8 but getting 4 cylinder mpg. Not a bad tradeoff.

Reply to
Art

I had a nice sitdown chat with the Toyota service manager at where I bought my car while it was getting a oil change and I asked him about batteries in the hybrids. He said they have had only one battery failure from day one of the hybrids at that dealership and that was on a brand new car. Infant mortality I'd guess.

Reply to
The beneVolent dbu

I guess not as long as you are one of those that chooses to prepay the first $1175 plus interest for any, after warranty, repairs. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Fine by me, as long as you are happy. Like I said I appreciate those that are willing to pay the extra price to save gas for us that prefer a real V8. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The manufactures that build hybrids realize the extremely high cost of the batteries is a problem, that is why they all have a long term warranty on the battery pack. However it is prorated, like any other battery warranty. The problem for the owner is down the road when a very expensive battery pack, currently between $4,000 to $7,000, that will need to be replaced on an old highly depreciated vehicle.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Actually it doesn't matter if I am happy. My wife wanted it.

Reply to
Art

Honda Insight battery packs are $3600 and have been supplied by Honda off warranty sometimes with a discount. Toyota has not yet sold any battery packs yet but predict they will cost $3000 or less when warranties are over.

Reply to
Art

$3,000 will buy enough gas to run a Corolla for around three years. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That is if there is enough gas to buy.

I'm hoping they'll come up with a better system than batteries. Fuel cells perhaps. Of course Mike you and I won't have to worry much about gas supplies in our lifetime, there should be plenty, but it will get more expensive as time goes on.

Reply to
The beneVolent dbu

Sure Mike, just send a check straight to Iran. They will be happy to supply you with all the gas you need.

Reply to
Art

Yes, for sure but after all is said and done price is the ultimate conservator. The price of crude is what will lead us in the direction of viable alternate energy sources. $70 a barrel crude makes other sources more cost effective. There is a coal to oil plant being built in eastern PA that will convert clean burning anthracite coal, into low sulpher diesel fuel, as we speak. We can greatly reduce our dependency on foreign crude when we finally decide it is time to catch up to the rest of the world in turning to nuclear power to generate electricity. We currently generate on

20% compared to others like Japan and France that use nuclear power to generate nearly all of their electricity. Another is developing clearer more efficient use for the abundance of coal under our feet. It will take politicians with some balls to stand up to the environuts however to get us to the point were we use oil many for its carbon rather than as a fuel.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter