Prius vs. VW TDI Diesel

Some people can't see past the price tag and do not take ride, comfort, etc., into account.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

**Hey guy, I drive a BMW 525! I don't give a crap, if you drive a Humvee or an 8 wheeler to work. I only want it to show cost wise, you don't save with Prius, not your taste or preference of cars. Julius
Reply to
szaki

I'm not a guy.

And you don't save with your Beemer. You could have got more car for less money with a Lexus, Acura, or Infiniti.

But go ahead and pollute the atmosphere and waste gasoline; it just shows that you don't give a shit about the environment, natural resources, or other people. I'd wager that you're a Republican or Libertarian.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

I only paid $7000 for my 91' Beemer $13,000 less than your Prius, that's

4643 gal of gas at $2.80 or 140,000 miles. At 100,000 odo it gets 25 mil/gal. Last Beemer I owned sold it at 300,000 odo without major repairs, so I still have 200,000 mile to go on this one. Let me tell you some thing, to ease your mind. Early 80's, late 90's in the US the average mil/gal was raised to over 20 mil/gal. Means, most cars were doing over 20 mil/gal, plus stricter pollution control, at least here in CA. But than, in the 90's they added 25 million more cars on the roads, without building more roads, that's why there are bumper to bumper traffic every where. There are 3-4 cars in a household in the US now days. Bush just sign some $200 billion highway bill, that would expand road system in the US, you most likely heard of that. They can raise the average mil/gal use to 40 mil/gal don't mean any thing in over all pollution, because they add more cars on the road by making it more affordable, means more taxes for G. Get it? Only way to get around G is by DEATH. Also, there are no mufflers or c. converter on airplanes, directly dumps CO2 and unburned fuel in the upper atmosphere. Car pollutions, smog has harder time to get up there, because the wind, rain, snow and it gets observed in the lower environment. Has more effect on human health than green house. Julius
Reply to
szaki

That's not why I bought a Prius.

That's...oh...I'll be quiet now.

Reply to
Michael Pardee

The reason I wrote "as I see it," is because I'm aware that some people might have other reasons that I'm not aware of.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

You're mixing apples and oranges. In 2019 I'll be able to say that I paid $19995 for my 04 Prius, which will probably be fifteen to twenty grand less than a 2019 Beemer.

The other stuff you wrote is irrelevant to the discussion.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

NO! Reason I typed up all that stuff about the environment, because most people answer about buying the Prius are less pollution and saving the environment. As an individual they are correct, but in overall there are more pollution in the world than 10 years ago. Just look it China with

1.5 billion now Hamburger eating people is entering into the modern technological world. Big buyers of middle-east oil, one of the the reason oil prices has been going up, because of more demand. I'm from Europe and never owned a gas-guzzler car, even in the 80's when lot of people I knew drove big Cadillacs or big trucks with big engines. All my cars gasmilage were at least 20 or more mil/gal. Even my biggest car EuroVan today does 20 mil/gal and it's a Van. Julius
Reply to
szaki

More hard numbers.

Sell that Neon after 3 years at 36K miles. How much will you get for it? $2500? If you are lucky. Sell the Prius after 3 years and 36K and you will get back $15,00 to $18,000.

That means the cheapie cost you $10,000 PLUS gas and the Prius was only $5,000 and a lot less gas.

For me the answer is clear. The Hybrids are only more expensive if you choose to ignore part of the equation.

Reply to
dbs__usenet

*Your estimate is way off. About $5000-$6000 depends on milage and conditions.

If you are lucky. Sell the Prius after 3 years and 36K and you

*You'll get screwed if next year gas prices go down. JS
Reply to
szaki

Yup, and it is completely out of the hands of ordinary individuals, and is totally irrelevant to choosing a car to buy.

Twenty MPG is considered low mileage by today's standards.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Well, then, at least he doesn't have to worry about being screwed, does he?

Reply to
Ingenuous

It a lot easier and much less speculative to do the calculations using the form on this site (although the list of standard comparison cars is limited; you would have to substitute the Chevrolet Cobalt for the Dodge Neon):

Marilyn & Bob

Even if that happens, we will still have great cars. If you haven't driven one you can be excused for not understanding.

It is interesting that when we bought our Prius in 2002 pundits were predicting how long we would have to drive the car to pay back the difference at $1.50/gallon.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

If you think his rants here are bad, you should see his Nazi ravings in alt.revisionism.

Reply to
steve wolk

Much better than your Jewish rants, about the Holohoax! Is your habit is to following posters around? You should be in Israel helping your brothers to move! JS

Reply to
szaki

Y'think I really should?

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

OK, so you hate Jews and are a liar. You can lie all you want about the Holocaust, but that doesn't change the fact that it really happened.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Problem is, your kind have no proof for it, only fake, fabricated to collect money. But this n.g. is not the place to argue about the Holohoax! Right? Go visit "alt.revisionism", if you want your head bruised. JS

Reply to
szaki

The proof is there, and has been there for almost sixty years. Your refusal to believe it does not refute it. Oh, don't bother to cite Zundel, Leuchter, or Irving; all they have to offer is a pack of lies.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner