TD5 any good

Hi there, I am contemplating swapping my '97 TDI 110 station wagon with a new TD5 130 cab chassis. I went and had a look at the dealers and can't help myself thinking that the new defender is not as robust as the older versions! Anyone has any experience with a late model defender. Also the enginge noise seemed quite anoying after driving for a little while. Its allright under load but if you take your foot halfway of the pedal the high pitch sound got to me after a while. Thanks for any suggestions Ralph

Reply to
Annie Rehmann

Yes, it's very good.

Peter 'likes a straight answer' R.

Reply to
Peter R.

We have two new ones at work (a 110 CSW and a 127 Crew Cab). Build quality and reliability is appauling.

TRH

Reply to
TRH

When you say reliability and build quality is appalling, is that by Land Rover standards (i.e. compared to earlier Land Rovers) or by the standards of the motor industry as a whole? (provoke, provoke...!!!!!)

Cheers, Rollerball

1984 90 petrol 2.25 1994 VW Golf 1.4 1994 VW Passat 1.9Tdi estate I thought I'd list our VW's (just this once) so I can say: - Yes, VW's do go wrong too, you know! But I'd have to say they're well put together. By the way, I saw my first VW Touareg the other day. Looked BIG, and neater than a Range Rover. I want one! But I'd settle for a nice mid-90's 110 Defender Tdi.
Reply to
Prof Rollerball

A Volkswagen Toerag, eh .....mmmm...

Peter 'My TD5 isn'r appaling' R.

Reply to
Peter R.

Well, lets just say that the TDi powered Defender 110 CSW and Hi Cap that they replaced were no trouble at all (despite typical construction industry missuse!!!)

TRH

Reply to
TRH