Toyota Corolla May Be Recalled over Steering Problem

Go find one. It's a little tough after trying to avoid the 3000 highway victims every month to find one of those toyota victims.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

That's easy:

AMuzi

And what caused their accidents?

One guy even had enough time to call 911, but couldn't get the car into neutral or turn off the engine?

Hachiroku

Blame the light bulb company:

Electric Bathtub Blues

1994 Darwin Award Nominee Confirmed True by Darwin (11 March 1978, France) The singer Claude Francois, whose stellar career can be compared to that of Elvis Presley, popularized rock and roll music in France. One evening, he returned to his Paris apartment from a busy touring schedule, and ran a bath. While standing in the filled tub, he noticed a light bulb that wasn't straight, tried to straighten it... and was electrocuted.
Reply to
Hachiroku

Really. Ask them what happened.

Funny how NO ONE has produced data from the ECUs yet, and yet they point the finger.

Asshats.

Am I saying Toyota is NOT at fault? I don't think I ever have. I'm saying the people did not RESPOND TO THE SITUATION CORRECTLY. Like the woman in Congress who said "God stopped the car" after she couldn't.

There is an OFF button on the dashboard. It takes three seconds.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Too bad they didn't move to NH first, and THEN sell the car. A lot closer.

I had one of those with Fred Flinstone floorboards. It was a FUN car, but needed more repair than I knew how to do back then.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hey! You just made me realize something! There WAS a GM car I liked! The Corvair, the 1964 Nova we had, and a 1974 Nova I had until gas hit 75 cents a gallon...then it was back to Toyota...

Reply to
Hachiroku

What model do you have? An Auris?

I was talking about my '05 Scion. It remembers the last set speed until you turn off the key. I think it even remembers the setting if you turn the cruise OFF, and then back on again. I don't like it. And where the control is; I hit is accidently taking a corner one time, my had just barely brushed it and hit the RES function, and having been on the highway at 70 MPH we were off to the races on a back road! Since then I turn it OFF once I get off the highway. Always.

I'm wondering how many 'unintentional accelerations' were caused by this.

Reply to
Hachiroku

In message , =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_$B%O%A%m%/(B?writes

Yes you're right I do have an Auris, perhaps yours the more normal one and Toyota has rectified it. Acting as you say, it would give anyone not fully conversant with the setup a bit of a shock and I suspect that the panic reaction for some would be to floor the pedal.

Reply to
Clive

Well, I tell you, it was a bit of a surprise. I felt my finger hit something when I was turning the wheel and then the RPMs ramped up and we started GOING! I had just got off the Interstate and was taking a corner at the busiest intersection in a small (REALLY small) 'city' but there weren't a LOT of people around. I immediately hit the brakes AND the CANCEL lever, and then SHUT IT OFF.

Lesson learned.

Reply to
Hachiroku

----- Original Message ----- From: "Clive" Newsgroups: alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,rec.autos.tech Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:39 PM Subject: Re: Toyota Corolla May Be Recalled over Steering Problem

What has this got to do with the Japanese government bankrolling Toyota's expansion?

I was just pointing out that Toyota was/is getting plenty of governmental support just like GM. I think it is unreasonable to attack GM for being propped up by the government when Toyota is also being supported by various US and Japanese government entities.

The Japanese government protected Toyota from foreign competition for years. The Japanese government funded much of Toyotas' growth in the 50's, 60's and

70's. When Toyota started having problems last year, the Japanese government stepped in and provided emergency financing to Toyota. Many US governments have provided Toyota with financial incentives to locate plants in their jurisdictions. All this is factual. Trashing GM because it was bailed out by the US government is only reasonable if you are willing to also criticize Toyota for accepting government aid. My personal opinion is that the government should be criticized for essentially confiscating GM from the prior stockholders and turning over a large chunk of it to the UAW. I was not a GM stockholder, but I think I would rather have seen it go down the tubes. GM had some valuable assets. I might have gotten something for my stock, instead of nothing. I believe the US government far exceeded it's authority in the GM bailout.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

how about the u.s. government facilitating the gm attack on toyota?

apart from the fact that toyota employs tens of thousands of americans. gm doesn't emply a corresponding number of japanese.

the u.s. government simply gives gm billions of dollars and gives them tax write-offs.

and the u.s. government...

and the u.s. government...

because they were offering jobs...

bullshit.

on that we agree. gm should have been allowed to fail.

yeah, they're funding astroturfers to fake "public opinion" on usenet.

Reply to
jim beam

I see other promoting this conspiracy theory as well. It is for certain that Toyota hired several former NHTSA employees to lobby NHTSA. It is also true that the Toyota Government Relations gGoup was congratulating themselves on killing off several potential investigations. I think there is as much evidence to say Toyota was using undo influence on NHTSA as there is for the claim that the Obama administration is behind some sort of conspiracy to trash Toyota. For sure numerous politicians have come out in support of Toyota. The recent House and Senate hearing have been packed with Toyota dealers. So, I think you are reaching when you make this claim. Heck, even Toyoda admitted there were problems......they just weren't his fault (which is actually true, since most of the problems occurred before he took over the top job).

The Japanese Government would not allow GM the chance to own the outright controlling interest in any major Japanese automakers. However, there was a time when GM had significant stakes in Isuzu, Subaru, and Suzuki.

What do you suppose would have happen if the US Government had restricted sales of Japanese cars in the US in the same manner US companies were shut out of Japan?

I wasn't happy about the way this was handled. I think GM should have been allowed to go into bankruptcy. GM would not have disappeared, but a lot of bankers would have lost a lot of money.

The US Governement has never set up the sort of barrier to foreign automakers that the Japanese government has (and still does).

I don't think the US Federal Government provided financing to Toyota in the

50's, 60's, and 70's (or to US Car companies fot that matter).

I am not sure what your point is here. As far as I know the US Federal government did not provide financial aide to Toyota - well except for the tax rebates they provided for Hybrid cars which mostly benefited Toyota.

So do you figure if the various states had not tried to buy these jobs, Toyota would not have built the plants anyhow? Toyota played the various state governments off against each other.

Why is this? Toyota has received billions from various governments. Why is it OK for Toyota to get government funds, but not OK for GM?

I really have a hard time figuring out your motivations. Your posts are mostly irrational and so one sided as to be laughable. You seem willing to make up all sort of lies to attack domestic manufacturers, while dismissing any actual facts that put Toyota in a negative light as lies. You are so far over the top in your assertions, I am beginning to think you are actually some sort of counter agent. By unleashing such ridiculous and unreasonable attacks maybe your plan is to torpedo Toyota by association.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White