Re: Toyota Corolla May Be Recalled over Steering Problem

dr_jeff wrote in

>news:dLCdnXPoScvi2-DWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com: > >> Tegger wrote: >>> john wrote in >>> news: snipped-for-privacy@s36g2000prh.googlegroups.com >>> : >>> >>>> Veered sharply at highway speeds? Must be junk design. >>> >>> >>> Or an unsubstantiated allegation, which most of these "complaints" >>> are at this point. >> >> That's true of the brake problems. > > > >It's also true of the new PS thing. The NHTSA has said so. > > > >> Apparently, Toyota and the NHTSA >> failed to address the reports and take appropriate action, leading to >> a big mess. > > >The "big mess" is in the media alone. So far, ONE death confirmed as being >specifically due to a stuck gas pedal.
34 deaths.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Ashton Crusher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Can you tell me where that number comes from? I'd like to see the source(s) behind it.

Reply to
Tegger

IF you beleive the news media it is based on the latest total as reported to NHTSA. And it appears to include all UA complaints, not necessarily ones related to the stuck gas pedals. 13 of the claims are very recent (and therefore somewhat open to question). 21 are earlier.

See

(AP) The government has received new complaints that bring to 34 the total number of alleged deaths in Toyota vehicles due to sudden acceleration since 2000, according to government data posted Monday.

The government has received complaints during the past three weeks alleging 13 deaths. The deaths allegedly tied to this problem happened in nine crashes between 2005 and 2010.

From 2000 to 2009, complaints alleging 21 deaths in Toyota vehicles had been filed with the government.

Reply to
C. E. White

the paid sociopath presenting allegations and hysteria as "fact". how true to form.

Reply to
jim beam

"C. E. White" wrote in news:hlmd9h$ndj$1 @news.eternal-september.org:

And none of the earlier 21 were confirmed as being due to a stuck gas pedal, even after the passage of as many as nine years.

Note the exquisitely careful language in this AP article: variations of the word "allege" are placed in every clause that gives events and numbers.

Also note one of the last paragraphs, quoting an NHTSA official: "Transportation Department spokeswoman Olivia Alair said in a statement it was "normal for NHTSA to receive an increase in consumer complaints after a recall is announced and the public learns of a safety defect."

I restate, this time with more authority: ONE death confirmed, or NO deaths confirmed as being directly caused by a stuck gas pedal that was not due to incorrect or unsecured floor mats.

Reply to
Tegger

You have no authority to assert anything. You are talking out of your ass, just like the rest of the Toyota crowd.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

How do you prove a stuck accelerator caused it?

I think they're just attributing it to a SA without really knowing.

Reply to
Hachiroku

What, you never heard of usenet authority?

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Ashton Crusher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Do you assert that there are deaths which are /confirmed/ (not simply "alleged") to have resulted from stuck gas pedals, and that are not due to incorrect or unsecured floor mats?

If so, I'd like to ask you for your source; I've not personally been able to find any.

Reply to
Tegger

=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= wrote in news:hln9u5$oj8$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Nobody has. Yet. And some of those "alleged" SUA incidents involved cars that didn't even have electronic gas pedals.

Remember that SUA incidents are spread across just about all automakers, and always have been.

I read a lot, and have a pretty good memory for certain things. Memories of the mid-'80s Audi 5000 fiasco are still fairly bright in my mind, which is partially why I am /extremely/ suspicious of the doom-and-gloom of the conspiracy and tort crowds this time around.

Not quite. Nobody's "attributing" anything, they're just "alleging".

I see the AP lawyers' fingerprints all over this article, in the variants of the word "allege" plastered everywhere; they don't want to get pinned down in court over this issue.

Reply to
Tegger

yes indeed. because they know it's bullshit.

why exactly the press would want to get their trotters in the trough on this one though is something i haven't figured out - the political agenda is ridiculous.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:feKdnQj3EumcpuLWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Organized labor gave $21 million to the Democrats over the last election cycle, which was 91% of their total PAC contributions. Automakers contributed about $1 million, split evenly between Blue & Red.

The press is unionized.

Toyota has no union plants, now that they've closed NUMMI.

Obama and the Democrats are union stooges, in a very open and public manner.

Add all that together, and you've got at least a big part of the current mess exposed.

Reply to
Tegger

Hardly uncommon, in fact this is exactly how Iraq happened.

Reply to
FridoLay

Rarr rarr rarr rarr....

If we were talking any other company than Toyota, I would probably be all over them. But Toyota will not put up with this kind of failure, and they will come back even better than before. Also, most of the blame for the recent quality issues have come from AMERICAN suppliers; the issues hitting the US sourced car parts are not affecting their Jpanaese sourced counterparts. Or are you that ignorant/arrogant?

Nissan learned their quality lesson in the 90's, and they changed. Expect Toyota to do the same.

Reply to
Hachiroku

__________________________

Notice Hachiroku how I have not mentioned the name "TOYOTA" until now? That's because I'm probably the only one on this thread who has the sense to trash what really needs trashing - this FRICKIN' ELECTRIC POWER STEERING! Let's focus on the root of Toyota's - and every other mfgs - problem - a technology that hasn't been fully developed before implementing in any country's car.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

have you driven a car with eps?

Reply to
jim beam

___________________________

2005 Chevy Malibu. The best analogy: "Like turning the steering wheel while the car is up on a lift" Turned me off entirely to EPS. It will be at least a decade before I even consider driving another car with electric PS. There's just some things, when it comes to cars, you just don't FUCK with. There's other ways to save fuel, cut weight, noise, etc. Messing with proven steering technology ISN'T one of them.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

34 deaths. Blood on the hands of Toyota.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

  1. where were you when frod was killing HUNDREDS producing vehicles they KNEW to be defective and on which they'd done their bereaved payout/recall cost math before they even started production?
  2. where do you get your "34" number from?
  3. how have you filtered out the idiot factor? ["accelerator failure" actually = "accelerator + brake + transmission selector + ignition switch failure".]
Reply to
jim beam

Cite please. Don't forget to compare to all other car makers.

Reply to
AZ Nomad