Re: Toyota Corolla May Be Recalled over Steering Problem

wrote:

34 deaths.

Can you tell me where that number comes from? I'd like to see the source(s) behind it.
--
Tegger

IF you beleive the news media it is based on the latest total as reported to NHTSA. And it appears to include all UA complaints, not necessarily ones related to the stuck gas pedals. 13 of the claims are very recent (and therefore somewhat open to question). 21 are earlier.
See http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/15/national/main6210052.shtml
(AP) The government has received new complaints that bring to 34 the total number of alleged deaths in Toyota vehicles due to sudden acceleration since 2000, according to government data posted Monday.
The government has received complaints during the past three weeks alleging 13 deaths. The deaths allegedly tied to this problem happened in nine crashes between 2005 and 2010.
From 2000 to 2009, complaints alleging 21 deaths in Toyota vehicles had been filed with the government.
On 02/19/2010 08:02 AM, C. E. White wrote:

the paid sociopath presenting allegations and hysteria as "fact". how true to form.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 2/19/2010 11:27 AM, jim beam wrote:

Hardly uncommon, in fact this is exactly how Iraq happened.

And none of the earlier 21 were confirmed as being due to a stuck gas pedal, even after the passage of as many as nine years.

Note the exquisitely careful language in this AP article: variations of the word "allege" are placed in every clause that gives events and numbers.
Also note one of the last paragraphs, quoting an NHTSA official: "Transportation Department spokeswoman Olivia Alair said in a statement it was "normal for NHTSA to receive an increase in consumer complaints after a recall is announced and the public learns of a safety defect."
I restate, this time with more authority: ONE death confirmed, or NO deaths confirmed as being directly caused by a stuck gas pedal that was not due to incorrect or unsecured floor mats.
--
Tegger

You have no authority to assert anything. You are talking out of your ass, just like the rest of the Toyota crowd.

What, you never heard of usenet authority?
--Vic

Do you assert that there are deaths which are /confirmed/ (not simply "alleged") to have resulted from stuck gas pedals, and that are not due to incorrect or unsecured floor mats?
If so, I'd like to ask you for your source; I've not personally been able to find any.
--
Tegger

34 deaths. Blood on the hands of Toyota.
On 02/20/2010 12:39 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

1. where were you when frod was killing HUNDREDS producing vehicles they KNEW to be defective and on which they'd done their bereaved payout/recall cost math before they even started production?
2. where do you get your "34" number from?
3. how have you filtered out the idiot factor? ["accelerator failure" actually = "accelerator + brake + transmission selector + ignition switch failure".]
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Cite please. Don't forget to compare to all other car makers.

We covered this already. The number comes from an AP article, the URL of which was posted some time ago.
Here it is again: <http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/15/national/main6210052.shtml
Notice: "ALLEGED". Even in the headline.
Alleged alleged alleged. Repeatedly "alleged".
--
Tegger

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 14:49:34 -0600, AZ Nomad wrote:

The silence is deafening.
Thirty four is the (unsubstantiated) number being reported by the media, most notablt NBC, which seems to have a hair across it's ass for Toyotas. At least Brian Williams does.

Meanwhile there are 3000 auto fatalities every month.

This Toyota "Quality" thing is driving you crazy it seems.
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 21:28:11 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Yup. I have had 12 Toyotas. No more than the usual problems any car has, and most actually better than average, and a couple much better than average. The oldest car I have is almost completely original except for brakes and exhaust. The one before that was even better. I have had very few problems, and the few I have had were often taken care of by Toyota, in one case even after the warranty had expired. And I don't baby them either. I drive the wheels off of them, often near the envelope of specified performance. But I also don't expect a lot of them more than the solid, dependable transportation they're known for. GM and Ford have had far, far more transgressions then Toyota, and often as a result of design flaws and not faulty parts. So far nothing Toyota has issued the recalls for are an issue of design, but more the onus lies with the parts suppliers.
And the other side of the coin is that Toyota is NOT GM or Ford. The family takes pride in the product they offer, and have now lost 'face' due to the recalls. I fully expect it not to happen again for a long long time. Rather than move on to the next mistake like GM would do, I'd bet my last dollar the family, which has again become involved with the day to day operation of Toyota, will go out of their way to make sure more errors like this do not occur. I'm betting the temporary shutdown of the US plants is in part to have the employees go over ALL the parts in inventory and make sure they are up to spec so nothing like this happens again. And you can bet CTS's and Dana's parts are going to be inspected and tested 100% or damn near close to make sure Toyota doesn't end up with egg on it's face again.
Toyota is going to take a hit on the marketplace for all this negative publicity, and I think that's great, because I'm going to get my next excellent car from them at the pricing I expect from Toyota. One of the reasons I bought them all these years is because of the excellent value they have provided me.
And if none of the things I've said above happen, I'm going to turn my back on them just the same as I have GM.
so there.

Latest news is the Toyota Memo where they all pat themselves on the back for talking their way out of a recall (which has now backfired) and saving $100 million in the process. When Ford allegedly did that with the Pinto you Toyota fan boys were all over Ford for it, where's your condemnation for Toyota?
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 21:26:54 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Look up Ford Automatic Transmission Recall. 14M vehicles. Ford printed 14M stickers for the dash that said "This vehicle may go from Park to Reverse at any time without warning."
My roomate stuck his to our refrigerator.

Reminds me of the VW solution to cars that burned oil: a "check oil" sticker around the fuel filler.