What I learnt from charging my Prius

I have never heard or seen any Prius owner claim that the Prius is an electric car.

That said, the term "hybrid" is usually misused when used to describe the Prius (or other "hybrids" from Toyota). "Hybrid Synergy Drive" refers to the transmission and how the wheels can be driven from either electric motors or from the gasoline engine. It doesn't refer to a choice of fuel sources. The Prius is strictly a gasoline powered car.

Reply to
SMS

You've never even visited, say, priuschat.com for five minutes, then.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

She also made sure I understand it when I see utter stupidity, like when Prius fanbois insist they have an electric car.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Apparently she failed to explain kinetic energy to you. Oh well, mothers can't be all things to all kids.

Reply to
Al Falfa

I have never seen or heard anyone claim that the Prius is an electric car.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Reply to
Steve Giannoni

Yeah--if the computer determines that THE TRACTION BATTERY needs to be charged. If not, the engine doesn't run.

You're an idiot.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Never been to PriusChat, for example?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

You mean the kinetic energy that was created by the burning of gasoline? THAT kinetic energy?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Right; I've never been there. Well, I can't say "never" because I did register there years ago, but haven't logged on in years.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Yes, the very kinetic energy the hybrid Prius can capture, store and reuse. In my 2010 if I have enough of it, and if I'm going slow enough, I can use this as my sole source of propulsion. Conventional automobiles can't do this. Remember this important information. You will tested on it tomorrow.

Reply to
Al Falfa

I had no idea he was calling me stupid because someone in some other group made a stupid remark. This boy has an interesting personality.

Reply to
Al Falfa

That is a true statement. If there are people there claiming that the Prius is an electric car then it's probably the sort of forum that I'd be happier not visiting.

Reply to
SMS

Then why do you visit Usenet?

Reply to
Al Falfa

Right. Energy created by gasoline.

ALL energy used by the Prius comes from gasoline. No other form of energy is put into the system.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Well, there's that little bitty solar roof thingy....

Reply to
News

Gasoline's and oil's energy comes from the sun (although it takes like

60,000,000 years to get it).

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

So, get on it!

Reply to
News

Well, that and a nice tailwind.

Reply to
Al Falfa

On the new one, yes.

So let me amend that for the 2010 models that have the optional solar roof thingy: all energy used to motivate the Prius comes from gasoline. No other form of energy is put into the system for that purpose.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty