827 Head Gasket!

Hi,

Rover 827si, 103,000 miles

All's fine, until I took the car in for it's MOT, and they tell me I have a leaking head gasket,using a sniffer test that turned yellow?

It is a reputable garage, and have no reason to disbelieve them, and they could not understand I have not had any trouble with the car, specially as I have just returned from France towing a caravan?

But if I were to get a second opinion, how much would it cost to replace etc... I was quoted between £800 if it is a straight gasket replacement to £1,500.00 if the heads needs skimming etc!

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Reed

£1500, they're trying to rob you blind... even my Rover dealer only quoted me £500 for the entire job.

Goto another garage.... You should always get the head skimmed at the same time. Any reputable garage shouldn't charge more than £400 for the whole job (with no complications) and that should also include getting the head tested. Get them to replace the timing belt at the same time, will only add about £20 to the bill as the head already has to come off, it's just a case of putting a new belt on.

I'd steer clear of that garage in future.. bloody disgusting.

Heckler ²°°³

You're aware he's talking about a 2.7 V6 here ? So there are TWO heads, and TWO headgaskets to be done ? £400 would be a very cheap price at an Indy garage !

Reply to
Nom

Ah, my mistake... didn't see that bit. Still seems very steep though.

Reply to
Heckler ²°°³

But does he actually need BOTH heads doing? Seems unlikely that they've both blown simultaneously, to me? If not, it should be comparable to a straight four engine.

Cheers, Ade

Reply to
Adrian

Many thanks for all the replies to my problem, but the car still goes without any problems, no overheating, fan turning on and off, temp gauge always sit under the ''Norm'' never had I needed to top up the water etc... If There was a problem, and needed to replace the gasket's, I noticed in the Exchange and Mart you can get a recon engine for about £1,000ish or if you wanted the Honda 3.4 engine it will be £1,300.00? Can this 3.4 engine go straight in, will it match engine mounts, auto gearbox, will you have to change the fuel injectors or ECU etc? Is it the same engine just board out?

Thanks

Reply to
Stephen Reed