Re: Loss of power.

A little while back I was in discussion over the lack of power on my Rover

25iLTD and I did say I would post details of how the issue was resolved.

I had made a few cursory checks over the weeks leading up to its mot. The turbo hoses were inspected as well as a replacement air filter fitted but to no avail. I then started to suspect that the map sensor may have something to do with the issue. Last week I took the car for its first mot + service at Caffyns Uckfield, a Rover dealer, and asked them to look at the power problem.

First of all, there is a software upgrade available for Rover based TDs and the car had this upgrade. The cause of the fault was traced to the map sensor, I had the feeling the car thought it was driving at high altitudes, hence the power loss. The garage described it as "driving in glue". The symptoms of a faulty map sensor are poor power, slow climbing of the rev counter ( 2 seconds or worse to 3000 rpm, it should normally rise almost instantaniously), no noticeable power available when over taking, poor to build up speed, your foot at the floorboard with no appreciable increase in revs and the feeling that you are driving around with four sumo wrestlers in the rear. You will get no fault light up on the dash with this type of fault and apparently failure of the map sensor is quite a common fault with this type of engine.

The effect of the new sensor was quite noticeable when getting away from traffic lights on an uphill gradient in first with the mid range accelleration boosted and instantanious responce from the engine. The car now drives better, and from memory, better than when I first obtained it. The words scalded and cat come to mind (or greasy ferret).

So, hats off to Caffyns Uckfield, for being on the ball and being very understanding.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

AH! A good Rover dealer! Congratulations

ken

Reply to
Ken Forrest

I must admit, they are a bit thin on the ground. :o)

Reply to
Paul Hubbard