Re: Rover 220GTi (J Reg 92/93) M16 Loosing Water

Hi All,

> > First (cross)post to a.a.r - I noticed Rob S.'s recent thread regarding > his 214 which reflects some way on my own "problem". > > My 220 (M16 2.0) seems to loose Water requiring a top up now and again. > Head Gasket was replaced not that long ago due to high temp although at > the end of the day I think it could have just been the 'stat however I > must confess it was from a "Engine Gasket Set" rather than an official > Rover head gasket. I did a couple of other jobs at the same time that > needed doing inc camshaft O-Rings (sorted) but I'm seeing my water > problem :-( >

Head gasket problems causing water loss on the M series are very rare most like causes are the rad or water pump or one of the metal pipes. Rover crossflow rads get pretty tired around the 100 k mile mark partly due to metal fatigue caused by resonant vibration at certain combinations of rpm and road speed. Also the pressure vent cap on the header tank is prone to sticking. Best advice is to get the system presure tested to about 15+ psi when COLD --- testing when hot is no good as tiny leaks just flash off as saturated steam which can't be seen .

If doing any work on the cooling system on these engines I advise renewing any iffy looking hoses or pipes -- the very short joining hoses are often over looked when these blow on some 2 litre models they can damage the engines ECU.

Reply to
AWM

Hi

Many belated thanks for the reply.

I had a "new" Rad in some time ago and checked it over not so long ago - of course since posting I don't seem to have lost hardly anything !

Urghh...what sort of "damage" ?

I do seem to have ahad a few niggles that have developed over the last week though - any help/suggestions would be appreciated:

I am concerned that I do seem to have a high engine temperature (this could be me suddenly becoming paranoid !) even though the temp Guage seems fine and sits just under horizontal, fan kicks in no problem too and Thermostat checked - could it be that the Water Pump isn't pumping and any suggestions as to the easiest way to check if it is ?

All/any help much appreciated.

205
Reply to
205

snip

More likely just the hot weather, the correct thermostat for these engines is a 88 or 91 degree one, fit anything cooler such as the more common 83 degree stat and they don't run as well.

Reply to
AWM

Thanks - it is a relativly new 88 degree Stat and opens OK.

Reply to
205