214 Wheel Alignment

Please help, this is my second Rover I've had the same problems with.

When I got my 1st Rover the steering wheel wasn't centred, I took it to a garage who said the tracking needed doing, I paid nearly £30 to have it adjusted. On collecting my car, I noticed the steering wheel STILL wasn't in the centre and the car now steered to the left also. I took it back several times and they still didnt fix it.

I now own my 2nd Rover which is the same, a 1992 214Sli. Again. the steering wheel wasn't in the centre but it did steer straight. I took it to the same place and ended up with the same results - steering wheel not centred and vehicle veering left. I decided to get a 2nd opinion and took it elsewhere, they said the tracking was out and it needed doing, on paying another £30 to have the front tracking done, it was still not correct. They had a road-test and confirmed that it still wasn't right. They checked the rear traling arm and it appears the trailing arm bushes were split and perrishing - I changed these myself and took the car back to the place where I got the 2nd opinion from and they did a 4-wheel alignment check charging me £58. - I took the car less than 30 yds down the road and guess what??? The steering wheel was still off-set to the right and the vehicle veered left. So - £88 lighter and I still had the same problem. I rang them up, told them "I have paid £88 to have my wheel-alignment done and it wasn't fixed DO SOMETHING!" - They asked me to take it in, they tried again free of charge and still it does the same thing. I was told to wait 4 days or so until the new bushes have settled in and go back and try again. (FOC)

That is 4 days from now - what shall I be expecting in 4 days?

Can anyone offer advice??

Reply to
Dean Carpenter

go to a garage where they know what they are doing sounds like you have ended up with unequal length track rods, most garages are crap at setting tracking adjustments need to be done with the steering wheel locked at centre and both track rods adjusted so equal length at the toe specified, lots of garages only adjust one side!

Reply to
BTnews

I had a similar problem to this on my old Volvo 340 when I first had 10 years ago. I also had problems when I took the wheels to be aligned, it did sort the problem out. The problem is that most tyre places align from one side only, so they can in fact make the fault worse, not better.

Apparently one trick is to count the bare threads on the track rod, if they are the same then something else is causing the problem.

Liam

Reply to
Liam Wright