Rover 100 overheating on motorway.

Hi,

We've had a '96 rover 100 kensington SE for about 18 months - upto now it's been the perfect car. But on a recent long motorway trip it started showing some overheating problems....

Basically at sustained speeds of 70mph or above the temperature gauge would creep up from it's usual position 1/3 of the way up the dial to about 2/3 up, dropping to about 60mph for 10mins or so would bring back to about 1/2 way.

It hasn't done this before on motorway trips and doesn't show any problems in regular driving conditions.

1) How worried should I be? 2) Possible causes? 3) Costs to get it checked out and fixed?

Thanks in advance for any help.....

Reply to
smurph

2/3 of the way up is higher than you would expect. although not hat i would class as overheating. Do the electronic cooling fans work? at 70 mph you really shouldn't need the fans (its questionable whether they would contribute anyway). a steady 70mph is not a major stress for your car so it shouldn't be working the engine too hard.

check the obvious, coolant level, radiator (blockages, obstructions etc) fan operation.

Try

Reply to
Rob Beech

Reply to
Stef

Reply to
Stef

fix it or f*ck it.

cooling system fault

a flush, new thermostat, jobs a good 'un

Reply to
Asperger