Electrical headaches with my 2 year old Rover 75

I recently bought a 2 year old Rover 75 Diesel Club CDT. I'm happy with the car but have a couple of annoying electrical problems.

The first problem is the open bonnet/door/boot warning light comeson intermittently. If I open and close the bonnet it goes out. Anyone know how to fix this frustrating problem?

I'm also having trouble with the reversing sensors. When you engage reverse, you're supposed to get an intermittent bleep changing to a continuous bleep when within 14"of an object. Trouble is, I often get a continuous bleep immediately on engaging reverse. I think it may be an aftermarket kit though so I can get it looked at under warranty. Does anyone have any ideas on how I should check out the wiring to get a fix?

Last of all, I had a towbar plus dual electrics fitted the other day. Yesterday, we were towing our caravan back from Scotland and it was raining heavily. We switched the car lights on which switched on the side lights on the caravan. After a few miles, all external electrics on the caravan failed - sidelights, indicator lights and brake lights. We called out the AA who were magnificent! The technician established thet the 15 amp fuse fitted by by the towbar fitters had blown. The AA man gave me a spare 15 amp and 20 amp fuse. The new 15 amp fuse that he fitted blew after a few miles again! I put in the 20 amp fuse but did the rest of the journey in the rain/poor light without car lights and caravan sidelights so at least the caravan would have brake lights and indicators. I did however switch on the lights for the last couple of miles of my journey and the 20 amp fuse held for those few miles. Does any Rover 75 owner with dual electrics towbar know what fuse rating they have in their circuit from the towbar fitter? Does the rating vary with the make of caravan?

All in all, I'm very happy with ny new second hand Rover. Apart from some plastic trims that have fallen off (which I didn't spot when I inspected the vehicle) and which the Rover dealer says is not covered under the warranty. The missing parts are a plastic grille in the nearside bumper and trim under the driver side rear door on the body of the car. To my mind, if trims fall off by themselves, then it's design related and a Rover dealer should be happy to replace the bits under the warranty.

Thanks

Peter, N Wales

Reply to
Peter Maddern

I bought a 6 year old Rover 623gsi with 70k on the clock for 2000 quid, not one single problem,runs like a dream.Go figure.

Reply to
Steve

Peter,

It's probably the bonnet switch. Mine used to do it at speed as the bonnet lifted slightly from the wind. Try lifting the edge of the bonnet (when it's closed) and have someone watch the light. If that's the problem then the switch is adjustable.

Andy J.

Reply to
Andy J.

Firstly bonnet boot light change bonnet switch its the only cure usually full of water and are difficult to un clip from the front panel without damage. Reverse sensors if the are factory fit they can be tested by the dealer using T4 usually a sensor failure T4 can diagnose which one. If there after market even Rover after fit then its just a guessing game to which sensor is wrong but again its usually a sensor. The trims on a 75 so long as its under three years old should be covered under Rover warranty they used to be unless things have changed in the last twelve months, that said if you have the trims they only need new plastic clips, once they have been removed i.e. when tow bar wires where run they need new clips as they don't refit successfully. As for the tow kit I would only ever fit the original Rover wiring kit as the light system utilises bus technology and if the correct relays aren't fitted to all points there's is a good change of light switch module damage.

Regards

Rob

R A Wright