2000 Pontiac Sunfire overheating

I have been having a lot of problems with my car overheating. A couple years back I had the coolant reservoir replaced due to leakage.. but it was still leaking or something. I don?t really know much about cars, so I took my car in and told them that I was running out of coolant really fast. They ran a diagnostic and said they fixed whatever was wrong.. about a month later my indicator light came on that said I was low on coolant again. Every time I refill it the temperature stays where it?s supposed to be for a good 2-3 weeks then starts heating up into the red again and says I?m low on coolant. The most previous time that I refilled my coolant completely my car continued to heat all the way up the the 260 degree mark then it drops after I drive for a minute. Today I was driving home from work and it went all the way up to 260 degrees then dropped back down to 100 and started smoking. I was around the corner from my house so I parked at home but now I am scared to drive my car even to a repair place. Not just because I?m afraid of it overheating but I?m worried I?ll take it to another place where they won?t fix the problem. Does anyone know what might be wrong with my car so I can be more specific next time I take it in???

Reply to
Jewels

quite possible that your thermostat is sticking at the moment, as for the leak, have a compression test done on your cooling system, it should find the leak for you

Reply to
M.C. Tee