Rover 25 CVT problem

Hi all,

my rover X-reg 25 1.8, CVT (automatic steptronic thingy) gearbox is playing up.

Three times no, as cruising along the motorway about 70 mph, it'll deselect the gear. Trouble is ai don't know it it s going to neutral or a lower ratio, but it causes the engine to rev high with no load for a seecond or two. Then it decices to select the right ratio again.

The only place it does this is when on the motorway and theres not much load on it, it does occur when accelerating, just after cruising for a while.

Could anyone point me in the directection of things to look for to deal with this?

Thank in advance.

Reply to
Vertuas

I had the same problem soon after we bought our X reg 25 new. I don't drive it much nowadays ( I now have a 75 auto) but I don't think my wife, who now uses the car, has had a recurrence.

I think it must be something to do with the Steptronic electronics? There was a delay in implementing this transmission after the original R200 auto which didn't have the "sport" mode or the same steptronic "manual" option.

Sorry can't be of more help.

ken

Reply to
Ken Forrest

Hi Ken,

Thank for the response

I managed to get the rover RAVE cd downloaded, and was reading about the CVT transmission.

Weird old set-up that it is, based on an elastic band (almost) apparently.

Regards

Vertuas

Reply to
Vertuas