CVT jumpy at low speeds 2013 Accord

It's not a biggy but it seems that especially under 30 mph, the CVT in my 2013 Accord EX is jumpy for lack of a better word. Gives a slight feeling like it is pulsing or something. Is this characteristic of this car or CVT's. I've also noticed something I never seen in another car. The wiper on the drivers side clears just fine but tends to pull water back several inches especially in the upper portion of the window. ANyone else observe this?

TIA Jim

Reply to
Jim

Yeah it's getting more that way on mine, too.

Driving it in Sport mode helps quite a bit, fwiw.

I'm increasingly peeved at the poor overall programming of the CVT. Each of the modes does something well and something badly, and none really takes advantage of the technology.

The surging feels like good ol' fashioned axle windup, only it isn't. I just hope it doesn't keep getting worse with mileage but I'm kind of afraid it will.

Have not noticed, but haven't had much occassion to run the wipers.

Try cleaning the rubber wiper blade with a paper towel.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

I also am always in econo mode. Guess I could turn that off long enough to see if it makes a difference. Don't wish to switch to Sport mode on the transmission since I assume I would pay a mileage penalty.

Reply to
Jim

"Jim" wrote

I have about 1500 miles on my EX I4, and find no problems at all (so far) with my transmission's behavior. I run it in Econ mode. Even in Econ mode I can pass someone on a 2-lane highway with ease. As for the wipers, mine on the driver's side leaves streaks. I wiped them down with a paper towel, and that helped for a little while.

Reply to
Howard Lester

I have noticed on my 2012 Pilot that the wipers seem to collect bits of foliage from the trees but, wiping te blade clears it up and if I park away from the trees (mostly Green Ash) there is no problem.

Rick

Reply to
Pawalleye

Even in Econo mode the actual mileage in city gridlock, is poor.

We're only talking something like, if you get 20mpg in city driving in D mode, you might get 20.5mpg in Econo mode, and 18.5mpg in Sport mode.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

Yeah it's getting more that way on mine, too.

Driving it in Sport mode helps quite a bit, fwiw.

I'm increasingly peeved at the poor overall programming of the CVT. Each of the modes does something well and something badly, and none really takes advantage of the technology.

The surging feels like good ol' fashioned axle windup, only it isn't. I just hope it doesn't keep getting worse with mileage but I'm kind of afraid it will.

Have not noticed, but haven't had much occassion to run the wipers.

Try cleaning the rubber wiper blade with a paper towel.

J.

-------- Reply: Try newspaper instead. Thought CVTs were supposed to be smooth -- the perfect gear ratio at any speed.

Reply to
tww1491

It's not really streaks. It just pulls a whole bunch of water back about 6 inches onto the just cleared portion over a several inch stretch of the upper part of the blade. But on the upswing everything is cleared perfectly.

Reply to
Jim

Not CVT's in general. My 2003 HCH CVT does not behave this way. Neither did a rental CVT (Nissan Centra) I used a few years ago.

But neither of those had the feel like a non-CVT "shifting" that some newer CVT'sh ave to give the jerky acceleration that automotive reviewers like so much.

Reply to
Alan Bowler

and which is specific to the u.s. market - apparently we're the only ones insisting on making high tech infinite drive-ratio transmissions behave like some clunky crap from the 50's. [unless it's a prius in which case, the journos have no problem with them whatsoever.]

Reply to
jim beam

) I used a few years ago.

and which is specific to the u.s. market - apparently we're the only ones insisting on making high tech infinite drive-ratio transmissions behave like some clunky crap from the 50's. [unless it's a prius in which case, the journos have no problem with them whatsoever.]

------------------------------------------------------------ The 50s era Buick had a single speed drive (Dynaflow) which I remember as being quite effective. It makes no sense to have a CVT emulate a multi speed automatic complete with gear changes. That makes the 6 speed manual for the new Accord a better choice in my opinion. TWW

Reply to
tww1491

Well, but does it really?

I've been trying to figure out which of its strange behaviors are supposed to map to that.

If anything I wish it did MORE of that, letting the engine rev more easily while keeping the ratio constant or even sliding down a bit under moderate load.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

I have the same problem with the wipers on my 2013 Civic LX. I need to replace the blades and see what happens. The ones that are on there now came with the vehicle back in February and have been the absolute worst wipers I've ever had on any vehicle I've ever owned or driven.

Reply to
Steve Crow

"Steve Crow" wrote

Please let us know what you replace yours with (a different brand?) and what the result is. Replacing Honda blades with Honda blades may not make any difference. ?

Reply to
Howard Lester