Rover 420 Turbo Diesel - suspected fuel blocking problem

I'm having a nightmare of a time with my 420 IXL TD, there seems to be what appears is a fuel blockage in the fuel line between the tank and the filter (through the priming bulb).

First up, the car had a new filter when this problem manifested itself (by the garage), this was before a fuel-line blockage was suspected (and any noticing of the priming bulb 'shrivelling up'). The car is due it's 60,000 mile service and the filter was suspected of being blocked, a fair suggestion.

Once the garage got hold of the vehicle, courtesy of the RAC who toed it there, all seemed mysteriously ok. The work above was carried out and I drove away quite happily. 3 days later, same problem, same symptoms - loss of power, stalling, failing to re-start etc. Once again, out came the RAC and toed me back to the garage. This was the first I noticed that the priming bulb was shrivelled up, suspecting a fuel blockage and the fact the pump was trying to suck hard, I suggested to the garage the next step was to flush out the fuel tank and blow all the fuel lines out.

They reported once again when they got the car that all was ok, however they put two bottles of fuel additive ('Reddex' type stuff) in to try and break up any wax or other deposits in the tank (and also to try and save me money). This time, all was ok for another day, the car broke down once more and after purging the priming bulb, managed to actually get it started myself, although it took me about an hour! I drove 200 miles in the car that day as I was away from home and it was Christmas eve, plus the garage had recommended a long journey to clear out the fuel already in the tank, thus ruling out contamination.

When I got back, the car had just over a quarter of a tank full left, I filled up with 15 litres, taking it to two-thirds full. Drove the car Christmas day, all ok, however it broke down again boxing day (all the same symptoms, e.g. purging bulb shrivelling up etc).

I took it to the garage on Monday and asked them to wash out the tank plus blow all the fuel lines and completely replace the fuel, they did this and I drove away in the satisfaction that whatever was causing the problem is now in the 25ltr diesel drum sat in my garage at home!

To my total dismay, this morning after a long 200 mile journey, the purging bulb has shrivelled up again, suggesting some sort of fuel line problem. I'm now baffled as to what is the problem and so are the garage (short of them contacting their diesel engine expert).

Can someone on this NG with relevant knowledge tell me:

Am I correct in assuming a fuel blockage problem along the fuel line if the priming bulb is shrivelling up (pump sucking hard to pull the little amount of fuel etc?)

Could there be some other fault, say with either the fuel pump itself or the diversion valve which causes some sort of back pressure and makes the priming bulb shrivel up?

If the pump failed completely, then I'd assume there would obviously be no suction, hence the priming bulb wouldn't even show any signs of being sucked in etc??

Apologies if some of this doesn't make too much sense as I've just finished working a nightshift and am feeling very tired! Any expert help is really really gratefully appreciated as I'm starting to go round in circles with this fault!!!

Reply to
Neil

This may seem slightly obvious, but next time this happens, try removing the diesel fuel tank cap. As you remove it, you may be rewarded by the noise of air being sucked in. If so, the breather in the cap may be blocked or faulty, causing a vacuum in the tank as you drive and use the fuel up. Also check if the tank has an auxiliary breather fitted, this may be blocked.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Cheers for this advice, I've just opened the fuel filler cap and was greeted by a very quick inrush of air - suspect this is the problem all along. I'll try soaking the fuel cap in some white spirit to see if this clears a blockage in the valve, failing this it's off to the Rover dealer for a new fuel cap!

Many thanks

Reply to
Neil

Before you go too mad, and to prove the problem, pick up a plastic fuel cap from halfords and run a 2mm drill through the centre to make a vent. Try running around for a week like this and see if the problem arises again.

If you still get fuel starvation problems with a modified plastic cap then I would start looking at the fuel pump filter inside the fuel tank for being covered in mould (there is a bacteria that can thrive in diesel and petrol fuels which causes all manner of blockages). After that, disconnecting both ends of the supply and return lines and blowing them out with compressed air.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard