We have a 2002 9-3 and have had dead battery problems after listening to the
radio in the car with the engine off for only 10 minutes. This has happened
several times, and every time we bring it to the dealer, they tell us that
the battery load test is fine, and the alternator tests fine also.
Now that cold weather is coming, we are concerned. Any ideas?
Also, the car is run every day for a 60 mile round trip to school. The car
is garaged, and is run on trips virtually every day. The belt is tight, and
the connections are clean and tight. Thanks in advance.
Normally I would not expect this kind of drain on the battery, however
there are some questions that need to be answered. What is the power of
the sound system in the car? In other cars the Owner's Manual
explicitly warns against running the sound system without the engine
running - or the battery could be discharged.
In my Classic Saabs, with the "standard" in dash radio with maybe 50
watts output - no amps/Cd players/graphic equalizers etc - this has
Forget that, you should be able to listen to the radio for hours ( all day).
I have a 10pack Cd Player and listen for hours when I work in my garage,
with the volume cranked. The radio is not killing your battery. I suspect
your battery is on the way out. When my 9000 was new, the original battery
died suddenly in the first year. Dealer said it had one bad cell. To kill a
good battery in 10 minutes, you would have to be pulling some serious
current from somewhere. I once left my lights on for 4-5 hours and still had
plenty left to start my car. I would take that car to another garage and
have it tested again, or borrow another battery to see if makes a
difference. Good luck.
FWIW - It's also just possible that one of the battery terminals isn't
tightened down properly - happened to me ages ago (with - say it very
quietly - a Lancia!). Italian garage theory was that a low level discharge
left a corrosion track under the terminal which stopped the starting
current.......... Never made any sense from an engineering point of view,
but cleaning & tightening the terminal fixed it until the car fell
Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.