2002 9-3 SE - Squeeling sound at startup

Hello all! I am finally back in the Saab fold once again after just recently picking up a brilliant 2002 9-3 SE and have been a grinning driver for the past few weeks. However, I have noticed upon a cold startup (cold meaning not driven for at least 5-6 hours, local air temp has been in the -5 celsius range) I get a squeeling/wailing noise coming from what appears to be the front passenger side of the engine. It's not as high-pitched as a loose belt, but it makes me think of a noisy water pump that tries to kick in on a very cold day. But after maybe 5 minutes of warming up, the noise fades away and eventually disappears. So I suspect if a pump was failing it was be a continuous noise. Any thoughts fellow Saabsters?

Thanks, Taflet

Reply to
Anonymous

I'd still suspect a belt. It's absolutely typical especially with it happening in cold weather. I assume your 9-3 is LHD btw.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I agree. Check the belt as well as the pulleys (a/c), wp, etc for looseness. If the upper idler pulley has not been replaced in a while, replace it when you do the belt.

Reply to
- Bob -

With two diagnoses in agreement, I will definitely check that belt again. Thanks Bob and Eeyore for your input. Oh, and yes it is LHD.

Cheers, Taflet

Reply to
Anonymous