87 Saab 900 16v No Power

Please could someone tell me what could be wrong with a 87 Saab 900s auto trans with a new head good compression, just no power at all

Reply to
biggnikk1

What does "no power" mean? Nothing happens when you turn the ignition? It turns over but doesn't start? It starts but sputters and dies? It runs but the acceleration is poor? A little more info would be helpful.

Reply to
Grunff

Reply to
biggnikk1

Did the timing chain get put on in the right place (cam timing vs. crank position)? What all was done to it, and why was the head replaced?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

You might check for a plugged exhaust. I had a catalytic converter break up once, partially blocking the muffler, with exactly those symptoms till I cleaned it out.

Reply to
saabyurk

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:53:59 -0800, biggnikk1 wrote: the head was replaced because of blown head gasket and I put 90 900s head on it, that is all that has been done.

Reply to
biggnikk1

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:53:59 -0800, biggnikk1 wrote: the timing chain was put back acording to specs! I did it according to the book, it had no power before I replaced the head

Reply to
biggnikk1

How's the ignition timing?

Reply to
James Sweet

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 03:48:45 GMT, "James Sweet" wrote: the ignition timing is right on. I going to take it to a muffler shop and check converter for obstruction.

Reply to
biggnikk1

I earlier suggested the exhaust obstruction, but I was also assuming you checked the really obvious--that the throttle is opening all the way (before you spend any money).

Reply to
saabyurk

Any chance you could answer questions _below_ where they're asked, so the thread doesn't get all screwed up?

Also, did you get all the camshaft timing marks ligned up where they belonged? Was it a known good head; are all the valves straight and seating well, etc?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Are all Vacuum lines properly reseated, and none split? Also, is the turbo waste properly connected to the actuator? I'm making a big assumption here that a US spec 900S would be a turbo?

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Nope, the S in that time frame meant "sunroof and maybe nicer seats, naturally aspirated".

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz