P0341 Error code on SAAB 900

I have a '96 SAAB 900S (non-turbo). There was the "Check Engine" sign on and I found out that the computer showed error code P0341 (Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank 1 CKT Range/Performance). I think the C.P. sensor is inside the Ignition Distributor (please correct me if I'm wrong). I see a lot of oil on the bottom of the distributor cap. Is this normal? Could the problem be that there is oil leaking into the distrubutor and causing the sensor to malfunction? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
designer52

Here's a photo of the CPS location.

Sounds like you may have two different problems - distributor seal and CPS. It might just be a dirty connector - try cleaning the engine area connections for the CPS.

Reply to
- Bob -

Whoops, here:

Parts here:

- Bob -

That is the crankshaft position sensor. There is also a camshaft position sensor, which is what the error is complaining about.

Reply to
Fred W

Unless the 2.3L engine on the 900 is different than that on the 9000, I don't think there is a camshaft position sensor.

Reply to
yaofeng

It appears that there is one from the WIS. Dunno about the 9000.

Reply to
Fred W

Whoops... my bad.

Reply to
- Bob -

What is WIS?

Reply to
yaofeng

Workshop information system - Saab's CDs of repair instructions that the dealer mechanics use.

You can rent access to it short term here (official, from Saab):

- Bob -

In message , - Bob - writes

No, the fault indicates the CAM (not CRANK) shaft position sensor, that's inside the distributor;

see here;

But first check the wiring from the distributor back as cracked insulation or dirty connections could be the problem before embarking on major surgery on your distributor.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Sinclair

I can't believe in 1996 the 900 still uses a distributor. Are you sure it is not direct ignition?

Reply to
yaofeng

Non-turbo 2.3 uses a distributor.

Reply to
still me

Yup. It's definitely a distributor.

Reply to
designer52

Guys, thanks for your responses. I bought and installed a new distributor and the "check engine" sign has disappeared. Now it looks like my catalytic converter is about to go! So frrrrrrrrrrrrustrating! But that's a story for another post.

Reply to
designer52