9000 CV joint boot kit

Hi,

9000 2.0L LPT, ABS, year 1997.

I am looking at boots for outer cv joints. I do not have the tool that is needed to lock the clips that come with the kits.

If anyone can tell me please, if there is clearance between boot and surrounding components for a jubilee clip like here:

They used to fit nicely in my C900s. If not, is the alternative cable ties?

Thanks in advance Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

Tool? I guess there is a special tool, but I just used end cutters such as the

to tighten the band that secures the CV boot. They were also very handy to remove the bands from the old boot. Obviously a different level of force was used for removal than for tightening. Some electrical tape over the cutters provides protection from cutting though if you feel the need for increased clamping force. The clearance is quite tight for the larger band, so I wouldn't chance the worm drive of the clip getting caught on something.

Walt Kienzle

1991 9000T
Reply to
Walt Kienzle

You might be surprised how inexpensive the tool is for those clamps. I bought one at a local parts chain store (forget if Pep Boys or Auto Zone) for the boot clamps on a steering rack (same kind of clamps).

Yes, many hack mechanics will use plastic cable ties (zip ties, ty-wraps, etc.) The problem is they are plastic and have a short life span before they break (unknown to you). Then whatever it is you are trying to keep covered by the boot will be hanging out in the open.

Since you used the term "jubilee clip" and not hose clamp, I'll assume you are in the UK. Here's a link to some tools near you for comparative prices. I bought the plier style tool.

Besides, it's another great excuse to buy some cool tools! ;-)

Reply to
Fred W