'92 900s Oil Leak under water pump / ABS sensor

I've got a 2l 16v non-turbo. I just had the water pump changed. Now oil is pouring out. I can't see exactly where from, but it is pooling in a
spot just under the water pump. My mechanic says it is a seal, and he needs to pull the engine to fix it he wants $1300. I live in Germany, and don't speak the language terribly well. I am starting to feel like my mechanic is taking advantage of that. If it were a seal, would the oil be coming from such a high spot? What is a likely failure that would cause oil to leak in this spot?
2. The ABS warning light has been coming on intermittently for the last year. Until now, it still functioned. It doesn't anymore. I found a place where it looked like the wire was pinched on the rear left. I fussed with the wire and the problem went away for about 6 months. The mechanic says that is indeed the bad sensor, and removed it, but has not yet replaced it. The wire does not appear to be damaged, and he said it is highly unlikely that it is the wire. I am going to check it out, as I once replaced an alternator only to find it was the connector that was bad. If it is indeed the sensor, is there a source of non OEM sensors? My guy wants $180 for the part.
The question now is, do I keep this car? I LOVE my Saab. It is the perfect car for my needs. I have money, but I just don't see any newer cars out there that appeal to me. I live in an apartment with no garage, so I am pretty limited in what repairs I can do myself.
Thanks in advance for any advice, Robobass
Update... The ABS sensor was only defective in that the coax cable was gone. The core was OK, but the braided copper shield was so corroded that it was difficult to find any metal to solder to. I spliced in some guitar cord, and now the ABS works perfectly. That would have been like 200 bucks! I must say I am getting a little bit unhappy with my mechanic. I hope some good info comes my way regarding the oil leak so I can decide what to do next. I just can't tear down the engine on the street in front of my building, but I am afraid to take the car back to my guy (Man I have so many other words besides guy!) who possibly caused the problem in the first place! Please advise me!!!!! Robobass
Hello, get yourself an acct. on alldatadiy.com for a few bucks you can look at a service manual for a year. It will help you double check what your machanic is telling you To see if it holds water. It gives parts info, as well as repair time, and mechanical diagrams.
Thanks. That's a good idea. I looked at their "sample" . But, they don't show my car! They've only got the 1985cc Turbo. I guess they didn't sell that motor as non-turbo in the US. I think the Turbo would make things different enough as to make some info confusing or incorrect. Maybe I should do it anyway. Robobass
oil on the front of the engine is usually 1) front main/oil pump o-ring 2)ps pump hose 3)shift shaft seal. shift shaft seal weeps, so no puddle. engine needs to come out for this ps pump hose. try tightening it up - 7mm socket on 1/4" (zoll in deutsch) ratchet. front main/oil pump seal. need a 18" breaker bar and a cut down 27mm socket. i just did this last w/e.
http://townsendimports.com/Web/engine_folder/front_crank_seal900.htm
keithg