99Turbo timing chain tensioner install?

It's been a while since I lived in the "B-engine" world...can someone refresh my memory on installing a timing chain tensioner for, in this case, a 99 Turbo?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On engines up to and including 2954 you lock the spring in compression with an Allen key and release it after mounting, the other type is pushed back onto a shim, and then mounted; when ready, remove the shim and push the tensioner in, this releases it and it will pop out and work.

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

OK, so here's the situation. The car is sitting for several years without it. Can I verify that the chain hasn't slipped by lining up dots on the camshaft sprocket when #1 is at TDC, or something along those lines? I don't have a manual for it yet.

Actually, my c900 manuals should be accurate enough for a 99 Turbo for a lot of it, shouldn't they? Thanks for the reminder about keeping it in until installed, I seem to remember screwing that up once (having the tensioner pop all the way out before I was ready). Fun times...

Thanks, Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz