A/C

this may appear to be a really dumb question but, never having A/C in a car before here goes I have been told that to keep the ac in good running order I need to occasionally put the temp setting right down ( 15-16 ) in winter for a few minutes so that it doesn't seize" up is this right??

Reply to
Louis James

no, but you should switch it on a couple of times a year so that the seals don't perish etc.

Just like any other system in the world, it doesn't like sitting unused for long periods of time (a year or so)..and will most likely fail just when you need it

Reply to
Alistair

The compressor probably comes on when you put the windscreen defroster on. What year and model do you have?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Sorry its a 2002 93 2.2TDI

Reply to
Louis James

You don't need it to be cold in the car, just run the AC for 5-10 minutes at least once a month, it keeps oil circulated on the seals so they don't dry up and leak. I use mine pretty regularly defrosting the windows so I've never had a problem with that.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks to you all for the advice Cheers

Reply to
Louis James

On my 1997 900 (RIP) , the manual said that the AC is on even in winter, unless the temperature outside goes below 4 degrees Centigrade (about 40 Fahrenheit). So, the compressor is on anyway unless you live in a colder climate, where the temperature stays below freezing for longer periods of time. I'll have to read about this in the manual for my 1996 9000 Aero.

And if the compressor comes on when the defroster on ( I do not remember seeing this in the manual, but sounds plausible), then that should provide for the exercise needed to keep AC operational too.

-Dima

Reply to
Dima