Sneaky A/C

I've found an annoing thing in my NB Miata. Every time the ventilation knob is in either "windshield" or "windshield/legs" position, the A/C turns on (when fan is on). I have the same in my Camry, but only in "windshield" position and the A/C light come on honestly. Not in Miata - you can hear AC compressor but no light, no warning. I do not see any reason to drive a Miata in winter with A/C on all the time (since "windsh/legs" pos. I find most comfortable). I can control my foggy windows turning AC just for few minutes.

The big question is: How to turn it off?? I'd love to use my AC by the AC switch ONLY.

Maybe someone has a wire diagram for 2001 stick, AC, PS, no ABS, no cruise.

Best regards, Kempi '01 silverfish,IL

Reply to
Kempi

Shouldn't be too hard to pull the wire off the compressor clutch. Plug it back in when spring arrives.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

"Kempi" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@wideopenwest.com:

A friend of mine told me there is a way to disable this "feature". He did it on his Camry and 2001 Miata. It involves several steps like (with the key, AC button, etc.) and he doesn't remember the procedure. Has anyone else heard of this? I would also like to disable this on my '02 SE. TIA

Rod

Rod

Why? It doesn't do any harm, it's there to guarantee two things: A) When demisting, you always get drying of the warmed air. If the incoming air is below freezing anyway, then the aircon will cycle off the vast majority of the time.

B) > A friend of mine told me there is a way to disable this "feature". He did

There is probably a connection from the vent selector switch to the aircon switch out.

But I wouldn't interfere with it. My Nissan actually turns it's air con compressor on whenever you put it in reverse specifically to make sure the compressor is operated regularly.

Reply to
Graham

Perhaps your MX-5 has automatic transmission, Graham , and you don't notice the problems. On 5-speeds, it's dodgy launching from a dead stop, due to the compressor drag on a not-very-torquey engine. It also makes shifting smoothly more difficult, as the compressor cuts in and out suddenly.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Until the lack of accustomed accelleration causes an accident. ;)

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Grant Edwards wrote:

If the aircon compressor is enough to noticably affect the acceleration of your Miata then there is something seriously amiss!

Reply to
Graham

Lanny Chambers wrote:

True confession time here for anyone who wasn't paying attention when I started posting. I don't actually own an MX5/Miata. I came here several weeks ago for information when I was looking for one for a friend. She's very happy with her red 1990 manual MX5 btw.

I haven't driven my friend's MX5 a lot (maybe 100km, she's done 2000km in 3 weeks!) but I certainly havn't noticed this.

Reply to
Graham

That is incorrect. The AC puts a very big drain on the engine. So did the one in my old CRX-Si. Light cars can do with less power, but the power required for the AC does not correspondingly decrease.

Supposedly the Miata AC cuts off when you floor it, but it does not really seem to work that well. I guess you cannot keep it floored all the time. If someone feels they can cut in front of the little Miata I turn off the AC.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Surely, you're joking. The A/C compressor most certainly does make a noticable difference in accelleration. I defy anybody with a non-modified M1 to claim otherwise. Perhaps the M2 has enough more horses that you don't notice, but even in a 1.8L M2, it's quite noticable.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

It works, but you've got to keep the pedal down for something like three seconds before the compressor shuts off. Three seconds is a long, long time...

I usually shut it off when I know I'm going to need some torque (e.g. passing or merging).

Reply to
Grant Edwards

So far it looks like most of us would be happy to control our ACs manually. As soon as I get to any heated garage and succed with disconnecting supposed wire from position knob, I will publish the procedure on our group.

PS. I hope that Nissans (the ones that turn on AC when in reverse) have rear window fan ;))))

Best regards, Kempi '01 silverfish,IL

Reply to
Kempi

Ah, the '90 has a regular manual A/C switch, not that I-know-better-than-you arrogance of the newer cars.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Looky here, we don't mind being corrected by folks with bona fide personal experience, but you've already admitted you have none. Miata owners come here seeking good advice, not misinformation. You'd be well advised to read more and type less, unless your goal is to land in everyone's killfile.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

My Dad's Caddilac really drives me nuts: you can't even turn the fan on/off manually. If you just want the fan on to keep the windows from fogging, you're out of luck. You've got to keep turning the temperature setpoint up to make the fan come on.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Ah, that explains that. Useless, then.

It won't happen in 1 and take much of 2.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Merging onto the Schuylkill Expressway in 90+ degree weather teaches you all about that AC cut.

"Hey, why's it so hot all of a sudden"

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Graham , far, far away from here, appears to have written:

[snips]

What a load of rubbish.

Reply to
M i c C u l l e n

It's not like I've ever made any secret of the fact I don't own a Miata. Right from my first post I made it plain I was looking for an MX-5 for a friend. We've found the car, and now I'm working on some minor modifications.

Tell you what Lanny, you can killfile me on the basis that I don't own a Miata, therefore nothing that I say could possibly be of any value to you.

Meanwhile the folks who don't have me killfiled will be able to find, for example, the post I made soon after I arrived, explaining the results of my research into what features appeared at what times in the Australian delivered models of NA MX-5, information I was unable to get from you or elsewhere on the net.

I stand by my claim that the air conditioning compressor should not noticably affect the acceleration of a reasonably modern 1.6 litre car such as the early Miata. It certainly doesn't noticably affect the acceleration of my humble 1.8 litre 1990 Nissan hatchback.

If you really do find the effect of the air con compressor more than you can bear at full throttle, there is a solution, factory fitted to some small cars, though not my Nissan, nor, apparently the Miata.

You can buy a vacuum switch and plumb it to the inlet manifold. Use it to drive a relay which disconnects the air con compressor whenever the manifold vacuum is low - at full throttle. In Australia you can find a suitable vacuum switch on the inner left guard of Mitsubishi Sigmas; it's used to drive the "economy" light on the dashboard and shouldn't cost more than about $10 from any wrecker.

But you've got me killfiled because I don't actually *own* a Miata, so you'll miss this suggestion, eh Lanny?

Reply to
Graham

Yea, well I stand by my claim that I shouldn't have to work for a living. But I do. Regardless of your claims as to what "should be", the A/C compressor presents a noticable load on even a 1.8L M1. The same as been true of every sub 2L vehicle I've ever drive (ranging from a Toyata Tercel to an Alfa Romeo Spyder).

Well, bully for your Nissan hatchback.

The M1 had a button that controlled the A/C compressor. I find that quite adequate.

The Miata already has that (the M1 at least). As we've already discussed, the problem is that there is a significant time delay (3-4 seconds) between the throttle opening up and the A/C compressor clutch disengaging.

He was talking about killfiling you because you were making false claims without any apparent evidence or research.

Reply to
Grant Edwards