Alignment Recommendation

What chain does the nation's best alignments when Saabs come in?

And on a lighter note--how do you get the one where the steering wheel's straight across when you ride down the road?

Reply to
Valjean

Tracking (front wheel alignment) isn't rocket science - it's actually very simple. It requires that the person doing it is capable of a) reading the required angle from the wall chart, b) correctly using an alignment gauge, and c) correctly using a spanner and a pair of mole grips.

The way you get the steering wheel square is by making sure you adjust both sides equally (if it's already square), or one side more than the other if it isn't square.

Reply to
Grunff

Any time I have gone to have it done, when I have pointed out that the steering wheel isn't straight across before the work's begun, it comes out worse than it was.

It's 50-50 it'll be fixed when I just say I want an alignment.

Reply to
Valjean

You need to add the line "I'd like the steering wheel to be straight when you're done".

It may be that the steering wheel is actually incorrectly aligned relative to the rack position. If this is the case, then the wheel needs to be pulled off and put back on in the correct position.

As I said, this is all fairly trivial - if the workshop can't do this kind of work with their eyes shut, I wouldn't trust them to check tyre pressures.

Reply to
Grunff

That line brings the same result.

It doesn't even matter if I tell them it's been straight before. This has even been the case for several other vehicles I've owned.

Reply to
Valjean

Go somewhere else.

Reply to
Grunff

The saab dealer did it for me when I had new tyres. The car felt 100% nicer to drive.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Reply to
Valjean

Was yours a Saab-only dealership?

Mine deals also for Audi and Porsche...

"Johannes H Andersen" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssizefitter.com...

Reply to
Valjean

Saab-only: Haymills

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

I can't help there - different country. But the fact remains that it is a very simple procedure, which any half competent mechanic should be able to carry out with ease.

Reply to
Grunff

Seconded. That's not an unreasonable thing to expect them to get right. They're just adjusting toe-in on one side, and not caring where the wheel ends up, it sounds like. Keeping the wheel straight involves either adjusting both sides (best way), or removing and repositioning the wheel (more risky; lots of wiring in that area these days). Not giving you an aligned car with a straight steering wheel is just sloppy and indicates they don't care about your business.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

To add on here... The adjustment that effects whether the steering wheel is straight or not is the toe-in. You can tweek this yourself if you have a few tools, some fishing line and some degree of patience.

-Fred W

Reply to
The Malt Hound

I used to do it, too, with a Fiat, not the Saab I own now. J.C. Whitney sells a couple of tools that do it.

By focussing on front end, I was always afraid I wouldn't get the back wheels totally lined up with the front ones, though. I never knew whether I did or not.

Reply to
Valjean

Seemingly, you can't just *tell* these guys what you expect (when it's so specific, anyhow), is the point I have.

Shed light >> Valjean wrote:

Reply to
Valjean

There is no alignment possible on the back end of 900s, 9^3s, 9000s or

9^5s. All you need to do is get the front toe-in correct, and get the wheel toe-in equal on both sides when the steering wheel is straight.

If the back wheels are out of alignments, it means one or more components are damaged.

Reply to
Grunff

We're back to "go somewhere else" then, it seems. If they won't do for you, at your specific request, a reasonable and usual task in an alignment, then they don't value your business.

Reply to
Dave Hinz