Am i really only getting about 18MPG? 04 saab 9-3 convert.

I keep looking at my gas gauge scratching my head. The computer tells me about 18mpg. Can it really be that bad?

Reply to
dnsrf

There's really only one way to find out...

Reply to
Grunff

You have to "clear" the computer and zero your odometer every time you re-fuel. Driving steady 70 should give you around 30mpg and traffic/city highway around 22mpg.

Reply to
hale

Is it 20 degrees where you are driving now ? I've seen as low as 14mpg in cold weather for the first few miles. It should get up to the usual (24+) on the highway, even when it's cold outside. But, if you don't drive very far after startup, 18 could be realistic.

Reply to
Bob

My '92 9000 Sven faithfully gives me 36, 37mpg even 38 with a following wind at a steady 70 mph on a flat highway.In town with frequent stops and starts and colder weather (+20f here in Baltimore, MD or worse -30F in Ottawa, Ontario) I have seen my mpg drop to as low as 14 but that was exteme. Around downtown busy trafic, short lights,

18 or 19 is not unreasonable.

By the way, the point made by Hale of clearing the computer is dead on. It displays accumulated values ie. miles travelled dived by gallons used since last clearing.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Mason

I think it's easy for the turbos to go under 20mpg given some heavy traffic and some enjoyment of the turbo rush. The best realistic mileage I get out of my '02 9-3 convertible is about 26mpg. It gets over 30 with optimal conditions on the highway, but those conditions never last long. Typically, with a mixed suite, I operate the car at about 22-24mpg, but it can easily dip under18mpg given heavier traffic and less right foot discipline.

...pablo

Reply to
pablo

Reply to
Mickx

I concer. When computer was cleared it started the display at 18 MPG. I am getting ~23 in mixed driving conditions (1998 SE Convertible). On Highway with new tank of gas DTE has displayed over 500 miles (>30MPG), but I have not actually driven far enought to see if that is accurate. But given that I do both highway and stop and go, I can see constant stop and go driving giving

Reply to
Keith W

My 9000CSE dropped to 18MPG several months ago and the check engine light came on intermittently. I replaced the oxygen sensor and mileage went back up to 26-27MPG.

Reply to
Mike