An interesting article on *gasp* GM's IT structure

There is an article about GM restructuring its IT contracts. Read on...

Read the last paragraph to see what there IT VP hopes to do.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Brown

Not surprising at all, as I've said in the past, GM just doesn't "get it" and they will likely continue to flounder in the market because of that.

Reply to
James Sweet

On the contrary, GM does get it. You just have to look at the new Pontiac Solstice roadster and the JD Power studies that show massive increases in reliability and build quality.

The main issue is that all of of the US car makers are being killed under massive union contracts that require the manufacturers to pay 100% of health care costs to all union employees and retirees. This burden keeps all of them from putting money where it needs to go: updating product lines, improving product quality and modernizing factories.

Many Saab enthusiasts say only a Sweden built Saab that is made by an independent Saab corporation is a true Saab. I have heard story after story stating that GM Saabs suck compared to Scania Saabs. That is not true. For every Saab Snaab, there is a "never again" person who vows that they will never buy one again. This is true of Scania as well as GM Saabs. My parents had an 87 9000 that was not a keeper, two tranies and multiple electrical foibles convinced them such. My first Saab, an 85

900, had to have the entire ignition system replaced twice. Saabs have always been "high maintenance" vehicles and every one I talk to, even the fans, seems to agree with that on one level or another. You have to keep up on the maintenance or you're screwed.

I'm not dissing the Snaabs out there, I just think GM is not much worse than Scania (and their Fiat partnership) was.

Jeremy

Reply to
BK

I agree - take a look at the Pontiac Solstice roadster. That's all you'll be able to do, though - look. If you walk into a dealer, tell her/him that you want one and that you've got a trunk full of twenty dollar bills with which to purchase one, they won't be able to give you one for the forseeable future. Massive underproduction that was delayed past the anticipated April/May release date (right to the beginning of winter, PRIME roadster weather) has created a bit of supply problem.

So, you see, while the Pontiac Solstice might indeed be an example of daring design, rigid chassis, and a fun drive for the price (not quite a Miata killer, but not bad), it's after all just another example of General Motors' "almost-but-not-quite" marketing that leaves many Saab owners wanting.

OH, and why haven't I started paying GM-priced labor at the Saab dealer? I've been holding my breath for that benefit of the takeover to show itself ;)

Reply to
MainerInMass

See, here's the thing. The most important factor in a buyer/owner's experience is not the design team or the build quality... no. It is the dealership that the end-user must endure after the initial purchase. In many non-domestic marques the dealerships service departments are the weakest link in the equation.

Reply to
Malt_Hound