Another BMW driver who fits the stereotype!

Apologies in advance to Fred W, who is a non-stereotypical BMW driver... now onto my rant:

What is it with these dickheads ? I came around a cloverleaf ramp yesterday. Highly tree-ed area, no visibility, full 90 degree corner to the roadway crossing perpendicularly below. At the bottom, there is a short line of cars waiting to enter into the highway because someone has stopped about 4 cars ahead. The person in the front should have merged, not stopped, but they had stopped. Perhaps they were a new driver (or maybe a very old one :-)

So, I slowed down and stopped. 10 seconds later, the person in front finally moved out. Each of us in line has to wait a bit now too since we were entering a 65mph highway with from 0mph, the ramp area is short, and there are cars cutting in front of us to exit the other side. So, one by one, we start to pull out. I was going about 10 mph, coordinating my entrance to the highway so that a large semi-trailer could pass my by and exit in front of me as I entered.

So, I'm watching the truck approach, when I see someone coming way to fast down the ramp behind me in a BMW 3 something. He's going about

50mph down the ramp (with a speed limit of at most 35mph, and remember that it's a blind ramp so real drivers go slow). He's coming up behind me very fast. I see that he's going to rear end me since there's no way he can stop. I hit the gas hard to try to get him some space. At the last moment, perhaps 15 feet from the rear of my car, he jerks the wheel to left to avoid me and enters the highway 100 feet before you're supposed to, cutting off the semi-trailer who is trying to exit.

Following his virtuoso performance, the d*****ad hit the gas hard and sailed down the highway at 80 mph (on a road posted as 55), continuing to weave in and out of traffic for several miles before he was lost from sight.

Bob

Reply to
- Bob -

yaofeng

Apology accepted. ;-)

Besides, I'm becoming less of a BMW driver as time goes on. At one point I had 3 BMW cars and one BMW motorcycle. Now I'm down to just one in the house, a '95 325i 5 speed. Certainly not state of the art Bavarian. But I still drive the same as before anyway. Which is to say not like your stereo-typical example

OTOH, I am enjoying my '03 SAAB Vector (aka Aero) immensely and my daughter bought an '03 9-3 Arc. Why the slight shift in marque? I'm getting my kicks on 2 wheels more often these days...

Reply to
Fred W

You know, it's funny, BMW motorcycle drivers are (again stereotypically) the exact opposite of BMW auto drivers. Conservative, careful, and best of all: the quietest bikes on the market. What sound it does make is music to the ears of any engine fan. If I was buying a bike and I could afford it, it would be BMW all the way.

But, I'm still pissed at the guy who almost put me in the hospital with his overly aggressive stereotypical driving!

Reply to
- Bob -

Bob, I'm with you all the way. Certainly in the UK BMW drivers on the whole, and there are exceptions, are complete maniacs who obviously think they own the road. However, BMW bikers are some of the nicest guys you could come across. That said, though I'm a C900 Aero pilot not a biker, I think generally bikers are far better, more considerate road users than car drivers.

Worst on the road? Horse riders who insist on plodding along two abreast and holding up a line of other traffic behind them just because they can.

My two-penneth

Al

Reply to
Al