Any way to permanently disconnect '99 9.3 alarm?

My car's been telling me to service my alarm system for some time now, but I haven't due to a lack of $. Lately, when it's wet/damp out, the alarm's been going off and doesn't react to keys, locks, remotes, engine starting, nothing. Just seems tp go through a few fits of shreiking while the world looks on, and the shuts off for awhile. I called the dealer to see about disarming the thing permanently but I was told that there was no way to do that. Sorry, he said, you have to have it fixed, that it would probably take 1/2 hour of diagnostics, and it would go up from there, depending. I think it's kind of stupid to fix something that I don't want, but I'm afraid I maight have to unless somebody, somewhere, knows of a way to override the thing.

Thanks very much, and I apologize for pretty-much reposting this from early last month. I just thought it was worth another shot.

Anyone? Anyone?

Michael Hudson

Reply to
Michael Hudson

Well, it gets power from _somewhere_, what happens if you just pull the fuse to the alarm system? (do this with someone in the car to unlock it in case you get locked out for some silly reason)

Reply to
Dave Hinz

As far as I can tell, Dave - and bear in mind that you're dealing with a self-confessed automotive/technological moron here - there is no dedicated fuse. That was my first thought but I couldn't find one, in the vehicle or under the hood, and the dealership said there is none. Seems strange to me, but that's what I'm told. Hence my dilemma.

Thanks, though, for the reply,

Michael Hudson

I think you're boned on this one. The best you might be able to do is find a better dealer/indie with the right scan tool to disable the alarm outright rather than fix it.

If I understand something I read about my NG900 a while ago (yours is I think the same) the alarm is designed so that if messed with at the harness - it locks down the ignition system so that the bad guys have to get to a factory scan tool to relight the engine. Well you mostly, being that the bad guys of course care not about driving it around to impress the ladies - so much as stripping it for the parts and selling off the shell for metals value.

Think of it like homeland security - but for your car..

Sorry brother Hudson - short of snipping the horn wires outright, which just quiets it down while it drains out the battery - I'm not sure there is a way around this short of repair or correct delete codes.

Reply to
Dexter J

There are instructions in your owners manual on how to disarm the alarm. There should be a button under the passenger seat that is used to disarm. good luck papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

I had the same problem with a 2001 9-3. They replaced the "theft alarm siren", under warranty. There's no way for you to disable the alarm via pulling a fuse or disconnecting something from the battery. I believe that the alarm system is independently powered, which makes sense because otherwise thieves would be pulling fuses and disconnecting from the battery :)

Reply to
suzieeck