So my alarm just stopped working...

I haven't had my '98 Legacy Outback wagon all that long (...just since around May of '03) and last night my Alarm/Remote entry just stopped working. I thought at 1st that it was the remote, which was odd... since I recently replaced the batteries in both remotes... so I tried the other remote... and still, no dice.

I'm *hoping* there's an easy fix for this, and not one that's too costly... anything I should check into before I end up having to cart it back to the dealer? I'm not sure if my warranty covers this... would the alarm/remote entry be covered in the power/tran warranty? I somehow doubt it.

How does the alarm work anyway? Does it run off the car battery, or does it have it's own?

Man, I really should learn more about my wagon...

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

-Eric snipped-for-privacy@AiXeLsyD.COM

Reply to
ERiC AiXeLsyD

WRXtreme

Someone at work reminded me... it MIGHT just be a fuse. Anywhere I can get a diagram of the what the fuses are for?

Reply to
ERiC AiXeLsyD

Pulling the ground wire from the battery? Hmm... how does this work?

Also... the remotes are definitely not locking/unlocking the doors or doing anythign to the alarm.

I looked at the fuse at lunch time today... it was like an episode of the THREE STOOGES.

My alarm hasn't responded to the remote for a few days now... so I pull off the lid to the fuse box & pull out the fuse marked for the doors/locking because there's not one for the alarm, right? The fuse is fine, so I put it back... and BAM! The alarm is going off in Wendy's parking lot. Of course, the remote is still not working so I can't turn off the alarm. It goes for about a minute and a half at a stretch, and shuts off until you f___ with anything on the car. The car won't start even with the key while the alarm's going off... I shut & lock all the doors, open one with the key slowly like the manual says... and it does not disengage the alarm. I pull the door lock fuse out completely again, & the car will still not start. I called the dealer & they told me about the reset button... and that did turn it off eventually... after I put the key in the ignition, in the lock position. (This is apparently what I should have done before touching any fuses also.)

So... I know the alarm itsef is working now, & I did just replace the batteries on both remotes... which aren't working at all... Could it be a problem with the receiver/antenna on the alarm itself?

Does anyone know how these work?

Should I chance trying to "reset" the alarm w/ the remotes that seem to not be responding at all?

Maybe I bought really sh*tty batteries?

Reply to
ERiC AiXeLsyD