Seat belt anchor - any ideas??

I want to put a forward facing seat in the back of my 90, it will be possible to easily remove this by pulling out a pin along the side of the seat where it mounts to the top of the wheel box. I do want a seat belt to go with this and it will have to be a three point mounting.

Problem is that I don't want a seat belt anchor permanently sticking up in the middle of the back of the l/r, especially when I have the seat removed and want to fill the back with boxes or diving cylinders. I was wondering about putting some sort of anchor ring, or even better a recessed anchor plate, onto the floor and then fastening the bottom stem of the seat-belt to this when needed with a maillon. Climbing shops sell these high strength chain links, they also sell high strength 'hangers' which are designed for shock loads - might be possible to modify one of these??

Any suggestions for where to obtain a suitable anchor point or ring for being bolted to the floor? Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

M.

Reply to
McBad

On or around Sat, 2 Oct 2004 13:38:16 +0100, "McBad" enlightened us thusly:

The forward-facing fold-ups from BLRS come undone with no tools - once you fold it up fully it slides off its mountings - when folded down (in use) it has cunningness which stops it doing this. they're nicely made in fact.

If you hunt in the group you'll find my post about seat belt mounts - it's in a thread about selling a 110 - or if not feel free to email me. However... You're not gonna avoid seatbelt things sticking up in some fashion or another. The seat belts in the middle row seats in the disco are on clip-on mounts on the floor, I notice, so you could use them; you'd need the mount that bolts to the floor, and if just fitted to a plain LR floor they's stick up - the disco has an thick rubberoid under-carpet thing with suitable holes in it so the belt mounts are recessed. Also the inertia reel bits stay put, it's only the extra bit that the belt plugs into that's removeable (without tools).

an Inertia reel one will need to bits of mounting - one under the floor (or more likely the wheelbox) and a second L-shaped one to bolt onto that and carry the reel, which is designed to fit on a vertical surface. A suitable section of heavy angle (say 5mm thick) would do that.

3-point upper mounting will require quite a bit of thought, assuming you're not prepared to have it fitted through the side of the vehicle. I expect you'd have to have a suitable braced thing which attaches to the floor (it can share the inertia reel's mount on the floor) and goes up to the roof/side joint. it'd then need bracing forward or backward, I expect. Hmmmm. wonder how you get seat belts tested, I could end up making sucha gadget and marketing it, if I can find out how to get it approved.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks Austin. The seat I'm planning is the Trakkers one from Exmoor Trim (

). Their catalogue also has all the seatbelts to suit (by Securon) including the mountings; the 3-point upper mounting is a roughly triangular bit of metal that bolts in above the rear window in the corner of the hard-top. I'm sure it will become clear when I've got it in front of me with the instructions!

I was wondering about cutting a small hole in the floor and recessing a mounting under the floor. In my minds eye looking from above you would see a flat doughnut shaped piece of metal on the floor and in the centre of this a cup shape (actually beneath the floor on another disc of metal) with a bar crossing the cup, the bar beneath or at the floor level. The two discs of metal would be bolted together (recessed bolt heads [are these machine screws] in the plate above going to nuts beneath the bottom plate) with the floor sandwiched in-between. Does anyone make anything like this? I guess they could be used in several places for things other than seat belt mounts, for securing loads or nets over loads whilst only standing proud of the old floor level by a couple of mm. (I know an engineering firm in North Wales who make this sort of stuff, so if the worst comes to the worst I might take it to them.)

Cheers,

McBad

On or around Sun, 3 Oct 2004 10:23:59 +0100, "McBad" enlightened us thusly:

I assume they know what they're doing, they're unlikely to sell owt that they could get sued for, in any case.

[cunning seat belt mounting]

just remember there are roolz about seat belt mounts. One of which is that the belt shall be attached to the vehicle by a 7/16" UNF bolt, I believe. Mind, the belt can have a detachable link in it, as per disco - try and get a look at how the disco ones in the middle of the floor are done, for a hint.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'll have a look at the disco ones as you suggest. I've got a few weeks to think about it so no huge rush.

M.

Reply to
McBad