Baby saftey seat and airbags

Not nice replying to your own posts but here is a link to the diagram:

Swedish sorry, but look at page 8 where the risk of death or injury between Sweden and Germany is compared The German situation is even worse than I remembered. When you start placing children front facing at the age of 1, like is common in Germany, the death/injury risk is increased by a factor of 4-5 compared with rear-face seating. In Sweden there is an increase in injury rate at the age of 4 when most parents start turning their children front-facing (NHTSA should see these figures and hopefully change their recommendation for preschoolers/toddlers, saving the lifes of quite some amount of US children!).

Note also that today it is even more important that the child is rear-seated with _no_ seat belt slack (= stuck tight to the dashboard) as modern cars are stiffer, maintain the passenger volume more intact and thus generate higher collision retardation forces than cars from the

80-ies (page 9 of the report)
Reply to
th

I don't think the seats are that different, it's the use which is different. A quick picture from the web site of the Swedish National Society for Road Safety:

you ever seen a child of that age rear-facing? Unfortunately the trend in Sweden is negative. We are more and more influenced by rest of the world. In 1998 71% of the children between 9 months and 3 years were rear-faced. 2003 this figure has dropped to 59%. Also the percentage of passenger seating decreased from 77% to 51%, this is probably more related to passenger side airbags, that were introduced very late in Sweden. For instance I don't think any or very few 9000 were sold with passenger side airbag over here.

Reply to
th

"Blacksmith" skrev i en meddelelse news:VxAwe.141106$ snipped-for-privacy@newsc.telia.net...

We obviously know more than you, when you can say such crap! A properly restraint childseat, won't go anyway. No matter if it's mounted in the front or in the back!

Reply to
Henrik B.