srs airbags and car seats covers

Hi All,

My 2006 Forrester has "SRS Airbags". As I understand it, when they trigger, they explode out the side of my seats.

Hmmmmmmmm. This probably means that I should not get a seat cover that covers the side of the seats. I presume you don't want to obstruct the air bags. Am I right on this? Or, are the air bags somewhere in the door?

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

There is probably a little tag somewhere on the side of the seat that says 'Airbag'. As long as the seat cover doesn't cover that area, you would be okay (i.e., something that only covers the front side of the seat, not the sides). 'SRS' stands for Supplemental Restraint System and doesn't necessarily mean you have side airbags..

Dan D '99 Impreza 2.5 RS (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Both front seats have tags "SRS Airbags" on their back seam, closest to the door. Are these "side" airbags? Or, are they air bags for some sitting in back?

-T

Reply to
Todd

I'd find out where the bags come out of the seats, and make a slit in the covers over the location. I believe some of the Subes have side ones that drop down from the headliner.

VF

Reply to
houndman

Those are side airbags for the front-seat passengers. The intent is to keep you from crashing into the door in a side impact, as they expand forward to get between the driver/passenger and the door panel. As VF notes, some cars also have 'side curtain' airbags, which expand down from the headliner above the door windows to cover the windows and prevent your head from slamming into the window. My 2004 Audi A4 has both - side airbags and curtain airbags. Basically, I'd be surrounded by puffy pillows in an accident! Again, wherever there is an airbag in your car, it will have a tag or imprint telling you that there is an airbag present.