Buying an old (1980-1983) Saab good idea?

25 years old mean I don't have to pay tax for owning the car, at least for a few years to come. A car like this on LPG means saving about 950 euro's a year.

Sorry what is APC?

Where ( which country ) do you live? Why all these people say I shouldn't buy such an old Saab? I think these Saabs looks nice and solid, but reading these replies ......... I also heard the turbo's are not the most reliable and it might not be best suited for converting to LPG.

Thanks for your info

Edmund

Reply to
Edmund

Dear Edmund, I think you are just wining. I am sorry. Here are the numbers.

Spending of government departments in 2006: Total expenses related to cars and transport:

6 290 + 7 073 = 13 363 million + 6 458 ? = 19 821 million

(l-4)-l&HDR=T&LYR=G2:4 Total tax income from cars and trucks:

2 143 + 513 + 3 452 + 94 + 3 982 + 2 836 +4 545 = 17 565 million.

(l-5)-l&HDR=G1 It depends on what you add and what not. You can also add some of the health related costs... but I didnt. I think income and expenses are close.

Average car in NL is 1135 kg (2004), tax is 500 Euro for LPG G3.

and

Average income in NL and DK is comparable, even a percent or so higher in NL, but taxes are higher: GDP NL: 132.6 GDP DK: 126.0

and:

The tax per km has been postponed until AFTER the next elections. We all know what will happen then, because nobody wants to pay more for their cars. The system will only be applied to trucks. I want to take up that bet, yes.

There is no "ministry of information" in NL. What do you mean? The system to track you is based on RFID chips technology, that has nothing to do with GPS.

"They" ? Are you getting paranoid?

The only people I know that moved abroad were the people that had so much money that they didnt have to care about social security, and tried to move the money to another country where they pay less tax, or no taxes at all. Most of them went to Belgium or Luxemburg, less than 150 km away, and drove to Holland a few times per week. Oh drove? By car? Really? Yes, really...

Why you want to go to Amsterdam centre by CAR from Alkmaar is totally beyond me. But you will have a reason to complain... I agree. I bet you even have to drive in rush hour?

No more responses from me, I am totally put off by your compaining. Sorry.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

8V =3D Eight Valve, yes.

The 8V engine is known as the B201. The car engine code will start with B201 on the ownership documents.

There were two variants of this engine, B & H.

The B engine (see:

wasderived from Triumph. This was fitted to the 99 model and the early900 model (up to about 1981).The H engine (see:
is afurther development and considered to be the better of the two. The so-called H engine was available as both an 8V and 16V, as 2.0L, 2.1L and2.3L in various models up to very recently). For your interest (up toabout 1983), there were only 8V engines in the 900. The better one foryour needs is the B201 H engine. You will be able to spot this,because it was a silver cam cover (see:
the older B engines had a black cam cover (see:
it says 16V on the cam cover (like:
is a newer engine. The normally aspirated fuel injection engine is the most simple. If you want to squirt the fuel into the intake snorkel then go ahead. I have seen installations where the intake runners (after the throttle) were drilled, tapped and had injectors inserted. This is a much better proposition for if you decided upon a turbocharged model. You can see the long intake runners in some of the pictures on Wiki. Although a B engine this picture
the long intake runners and the fuel injectors bored into thehead. For LPG installations (and just extra fuelling for peoplerunning very high boost), I have seen the intake runners drilled about2 inches back from where the normal petrol injectors are. Is the 900 becoming a viable car for your needs?

Reply to
PJGH

The 900 looks nice to me if I can find one. On internet I see more 99 models and I don't even know the difference with the 900 models but I do like the solid impression the Saabs are given me. Still a little worried about the engines. But if it sounds and runs good I might buy one. Thanks a lot for all your information.

Edmund

Reply to
Edmund

For the period you are looking at (1979-1983), they will all be eight valve engines. Look at the back of the car - GL, GLE, GLS and EMS will all be carburetted. If it says "turbo" it is ... if there is a turbo under the bonnet (look next to the battery), it's a turbo. If it says 900i on the back, it's a normally aspirated car (no turbo)

- I think that's the one you want.

Do be aware that SAAB engines of this period will be dramatically improved with new spark plugs, leads, cap and rotor arm, perhaps a coil (all cheap enough) and replacing the rubber vacuum hose with silicon (again very cheap). Once replaced, set the timing and the mixture and you're done - happy motoring.

Reply to
PJGH

We have to pay income tax nationally. We have to pay council tax locally based on property value, even if you are renting rather than owning the property. We have to pay duty on cigarettes, fuel and alcohol. We have to pay tax on cigarettes, fuel and alcohol. We have to pay tax on the duty cigarettes, fuel and alcohol. We have to pay tax on car insurance premiums (compulsory if you want to drive on the road). Then we have to pay tax to the government each year if you want to actually use the road, if you don't pay, your car/bike/van can be crushed.

That is what the average brit driver pays

Reply to
Elder

Elder (Elder ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yet UK taxation is towards the lower end of european countries, viewed as a whole.

Sure, it's not as low as the US - but that's a small price to pay for not getting left to die in the streets like dogs if our credit cards don't have enough space on 'em...

Reply to
Adrian

A simple "ring burner" system would work ok on a non turbo car even a

16v injection, but can cause backfires if not setup properly and that will trash the AFM on a efi car.

A direct injection system with injectors in the manifold won't have that problem, will be a lot more expensive to install, but it will be a lot more efficient.

Reply to
Elder

They won't leave you to die in the USA, but our health care financing system is a mess and needs much reform. Unfortunately, the monied interests own lots of politicians and have lots of money to throw around to prevent any change to a system that keeps their coffers full.

Reply to
still just me

But so is the standard of living. Compared to many.

Reply to
Elder

Not any more you can't. The EU declared it illegal.

Reply to
Elder

still just me (still just me ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Whilst it was a slight exaggeration - and the NHS is _FAR_ from perfect - I've seen too many collecting boxes (especially in the poorer bits of the rural south) to wholly believe that.

Reply to
Adrian

Well, the South, yeah, but that's not part of the USA.

:-)

Reply to
still just me

I find that Tax on insurance is the most offensive invention. Insurance is a form of solidarity; if I am fortunate enough not to require a payout, then my money goes towards helping someone else in misery from an accident.

Reply to
johannes

I don't mind. Why should my Tax money support someone who can afford a new car?

Reply to
johannes

Reply to
joris

to receive."

84Office of the Holy Virgin. "Make me worthy." [85]Matthew, 7:7, "Ask and it shall be given you."

86Is. 45:15.

[87]John 8:30-33. "Many believed on him. Then Jesus said: 'If ye continue... then ye are my disciples indeed, and the truth shall make you free.' They answered him: 'We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man.'"

88Rev. 22:11. "He that is righteous, let him be righteous still."

[89]Circumcidentes cor. Rom. 2. "Circumcision is that of the heart."

901 Cor. 15:33. "Evil communications corrupt good manners."

91"What they have found by their curiosity, they have lost by their pride." Quod curiositate invenerunt, superbia perdiderunt. St. Augustine, Sermon cxli.

921 Cor. 1:21. "Which... by wisdom knew not... it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe."

93St. Bernard, Sermones in Cantica Canticorum, lxxxiv. "The better one is, the worse one becomes, if one attributes the cause of this goodness to one's self." [94]Ibid. "Meriting blows more than kisses, I fear not, because I love."

95John 11:33. Et turbarit seipsum. "And he troubled himself."

96Matt. 26:46. "Let us be going." [97]Matt. 18:2. "Jesus went forth."

98Gen. 3:5. "Ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

[99]John 20:17. "Touch me not."

100Allusion to John 6:56; 1:47; 8:36; 6:32. "True disciple; an Israelite indeed; free indeed; true bread."

101In discipulis meis. Isaiah 8:16. "Seal the law among my disciples." [102]Is. 45:15.

1031 Cor. 1:17. "Lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect."

104"Rend your heart."

105Ps. 9:14. "Have mercy."

Reply to
Eeyore

I understand, he posted under my name too.

Edmund

Reply to
Edmund